Hypoglycemia

Is diabetes medicine needed if HbA1c is 7.5?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Criticalcare Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7. So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glycipha...  Read Full »

I experience some heart palpitations with little pain. What is your opinion?

Query: Hello doctor, I want your opinion on the symptoms I am experiencing. I am a 73-year-old female with 8.4 kilos, and height 5'3". I have been trying to fast during the day for the last two weeks. But have been taking an optimum diet shake in 250 ml morning and afternoon, and having a main meal in the...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.I read your symptoms and as far as losing weight is concerned fasting is the worst way to do that. But symptoms like these should not be overlooked, and you should visit a nearby hospital. Looking at your symptoms and the history that you provided it looks like as a hy...  Read Full »

Please give the blood sugar levels chart for newborns.

Query: Hi doctor, God has blessed me with a sweet angel today. She is 3.170 kg in weight, and all came up normal. The sugar level was 32, so doctor shifted her to NICU. Now, glucose supplement is going on along with mouth feed in an interval. Her heart rate is 136 bpm, and SPO2 is 100. Do I need to worry ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It has multiple causes, and the common one is a sudden change in the environment on the basis that from mother to outside. Many newborns get such symptoms, and most of the times it is not a matter of worry. It resolves in a day or two as the baby adapts to the envir...  Read Full »

Are my weakness and confusion due to low sugar or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suddenly feeling faint, weak, shaking, confused, and as if moving in slow motion. It has been going on for nearly 24 hours. Is this low blood sugar or stroke?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This could be a sign of: Dehydration. Urinary tract infection. Excessive fatigue. Alcohol. Marijuana and other substances intoxication or withdrawal. Postictal state (seizure). Electrolyte disturbances. Others would also include infection of the cen...  Read Full »

Despite normal thyroid, there is fatigue, body pain, weight gain and hair loss. How to overcome it?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 27 years old. She is feeling the following problems frequently. Short of breath, fatigue, body pain, gained some weight around 2 to 3 kg in the last two to three months, anxiety, hair loss, and dizziness. Can you please guide us? How to overcome it?  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please get her a thyroid hormonal profile test including T3, T4 and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).  Read Full »

What can be a good snack for diabetics?

Query: Hi doctor, What can be done for diabetic headache? Are diabetes friendly biscuits useful in maintaining sugar levels? Should these biscuits be preferred eating? What can be a good snack for diabetic patient?  Read Full »

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Headaches are not related to diabetes directly. You might be having a headache because of low sugar levels (hypoglycemic headaches). In such scenario, you need to immediately check sugar levels or take some sweets. You can use a painkiller if it is severe. You are al...  Read Full »

In thalassemia minor, is HbA1c test a reliable one?

Query: Hi doctor, I am diabetic since last 9 years and thalassemia minor as well. Recently, the fatigue symptoms have increased, especially when I am not able to sleep properly. I am 45 years old. My height is 167.5 cm and weight is 85 kg. Being thalassemia minor, is my HbA1c test reliable to decide my dia...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The main ailment you are presently worried with is fatigue and sleeplessness or insomnia. Sleep affects our ability to think, react, remember and solve problems. I would like to know your sleep history. How long you have had sleep problem? For how many days at a stret...  Read Full »

Why do I get hypoglycemia during exercise, brain fog, and fatigue?

Query: Hello doctor,I get hypoglycemia during exercise, fasting or not, brain fog, fatigue. This has been happening daily for a month. Prior I had been exercising an hour a day five days a week, no issue. Currently still aiming for five but symptoms will start out on my bike or on the treadmill.I had a gas...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hypoglycemic symptoms. First of all I would suggest that instead of doing finger prick testing of blood sugar it is preferable to do laboratory test for blood sugar. Secondly, there is...  Read Full »

Can diabetes medication cause exhaustion and weakness?

Query: Hello doctor,My mom is a diabetic patient. She is given Glimser forte 1 and Glytrin met 1000 for her current blood sugar condition by a diabetologist. From last two days, she is feeling exhausted and very weak. Is it because of the tablets or any other reasons?  Read Full »

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If she has started feeling so after the medicines have been started, it is as the dose might be high for her and her sugar levels are going too low. You can check it on your glucometer if you have one. Please meet your diabetologist for dose adjustment as soon as pos...  Read Full »

When will my blood sugar level come back to acceptable levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with type II diabetes five years back. I have maintained good sugar control. Currently, I am taking Trulicity 1.5 weekly, Lantus nightly and 2000 mg of Metformin with my evening meal. Toward the end of last year, my diet was not good, as I was eating a lot of carbohyd...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have started proper diet control, your blood sugar levels are getting better and better day by day. Yes, it does take some time to get back to normal once you are careful about your diet and exercise. You can check your HbA1c levels now and after three mon...  Read Full »