Q. What does it mean by low insulin with pretty normal glucose in a blood report?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am 26 years old. I am diagnosed with hypothyroid about four years ago. I started from 0.25 mcg Levothyroxine, and now taking levothyroxine 0.75 mcg. Recently, I lost 4 pounds which is very bad because I am 5.6 tall and my weight is 116 pounds. I feel weak and dizzy very often. I also have irregular heavy periods and symptoms of having too much male hormone (too much hair on legs, bikini, etc, severe acne especially a week before expected period). Since one year my periods cycle became longer, before it used to be 28 days and now it is 38 days.

I am also worried because of low insulin and pretty normal glucose. What does it mean? May it be because I am on gluten-free diet for two years? Please also look at my sex hormones prolactin looks too high, and I am not sure about testosterone.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and the detailed information you have mentioned in the attached reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The thyroid function is good and you must take your medicine regularly as usual. Do not worry about the insulin levels it is a good thing, it means you are perfectly normal.

Your prolactin levels are the ones that you should be worried about as they are the ones causing your irregular periods. They need treatment. I would suggest that you take tablet Cabergoline 0.25 mg orally twice a week for two weeks and then repeat your serum prolactin levels.

Your testosterone levels are within normal limits and perfectly normal as well.

| 

Tackling the Time Of Menstrual Cycle Every Month

Article Overview: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting women.Adhering to a healthy lifestyle i.e balanced diet, physical activity,mental relaxation etc improves the ability to cope with pain.Pain killers can be taken as advised by your gynaecologist. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena

Abdominal Pain: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting 40-70% of women in the reproductive age group. In medical terms we call this as dysmenorrhoea. This is associated with significant psychological, physical, behavioral and social distress. Usually it starts at the onset...  Read Article

What makes you have two menstrual cycles in a month?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two menstrual cycles in one month, two weeks apart. I have not had an intercourse for two months. Should I be concerned?  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now