Immunity

I have recurrent shingles. Will vaccination help?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old female. I have been getting shingles since I was 6 years old. Until high school, I would get it once a year around the same time. Then, I began getting it twice a year. As I got older, I started getting multiple outbreaks in a year. I have had shingles for 27 ye...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the history, it is apparent that you are getting frequent recurrences of shingles, which have increased in the recent past. Shingles occur when your body immune system is low. I am not aware if you are on medication as that may lower your immune system (except f...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of the advanced stage of AIDS?

Query: Hi doctor,Eight months back, my best friend's husband, who is 53 years old, was diagnosed with positive HIV, hepatitis B and lymph node TB. He is taking proper medicine, but gained so much weight. Now, for over a week, he has been having cold and cough during evening. He is a smoker. Is he currently...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Extra pulmonary tuberculosis, that is TB other than of the lungs is usually an indicator of poor immunity and can be seen in advanced stages of HIV. However, CD4 count also plays a very vital role in determining if the patient has a chance to recover from such in...  Read Full »

How to improve a baby's immunity?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is almost 9 months now. She is gaining good weight and height. What should I include in her diet chart to boost immunity, height and make her complexion bright? Please provide a good dietary solution.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Congratulations for having the little miracle. I guess she is breastfed. If that is correct, then she got plenty from her mom. Regarding the diet, the important point is to make sure that she gets all essential nutrients. Add diet rich in vitamin C, E and A, frui...  Read Full »

What is the correlation between tonsillitis and cold foods?

Query: Hello doctor, Can I eat cold foods when suffering from tonsilitis? I think cold is not related to tonsilitis because a virus or bacteria cannot live in cold or hot. Why is there still a misconception in that? Some doctors say you can eat and some say you cannot. What is the illusion?  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are having a susceptibility for throat infections you need to understand why it is happening. Having cold drinks or fluids bring down the body's immunity by shade and that is why it can attract a viral or bacterial infection. It is not about whether the bacteri...  Read Full »

Is kissing babies deadly?

Query: Hello doctor, Is kissing babies really deadly? I am sure you have seen the story in the news today about the newborn baby who is in critical condition after contracting meningitis from someone kissing her (according to her mother). I am working on a follow-up story on whether parents really do need...  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not recommend kissing a new born baby. Firstly, a newborn baby's immune system is not fully developed and is prone for infections. Secondly contact with the baby can transmit many types of bacteria and viruses which can cause various infections. Hence hand washing ...  Read Full »

Please interpret my immunization results.

Query: Hello doctor, I got immunization check as it is a university requirement and the following were the results. I have not been on medication for the following and also am not on any medication right now. Please interpret these results. 1. HAV-IgG to Hep A - 11.48 (reactive). 2. Mumps - 47 (positive...  Read Full »

Dr. Elvis Nderitu

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No need to worry despite the results turning positive. For instance, for hepatitis, the virus that is considered to be dangerous is hepatitis B, all the same, you need to take hepatitis immunization, which I believe is a requirement when joining the school. For the M...  Read Full »

Please tell all the ways vitamin C affects the immune system.

Query: Hello doctor, Please tell all the ways vitamin C affects the immune system.  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ways of how vitamin C affects the immune system: It improves: 1. Antimicrobial and natural killer cell activities. 2. Lymphocytes proliferation. 3. Chemotaxis. 4. Delayed type hypersensitivity. 5. Contributes to maintaining redox integrity of the cells. 6. S...  Read Full »

What do you think about drinking water from copper vessels?

Query: Hello doctor, I read about the ancient practice of drinking water from copper vessels. Is it really good for health? My 3 year old son has wheezing and respiratory problems. Also, once he was admitted to hospital for sepsis. He is using the Foracort inhaler twice a day and Zincovit syrup once a day....  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. Our elders and seers advise us to take water stored in a copper vessel, and scientifically it has been proven too. Copper has antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. So, you can take water stored in a copper vessel and giv...  Read Full »

How can I improve my immunity against pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, How can I improve my immunity for pneumonia since I already had it five times? Once when I was a kid, thrice in high school and currently at college. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pneumonia is a lung infection. It is a serious problem if you do not care about it in timely. You get pneumonia due to infection with bacteria, virus or fungus or if your immunity goes down. You said you had pneumonia five times in your lifetime. As you h...  Read Full »

I have non-itchy red bumps. Is it due to chickenpox?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with chicken pox. However, I am skeptical because not only the red bumps are not nearly as prolific as normally seen in chicken pox patients but they also are not itchy in the slightest. Could this just be an outbreak connected to spring allergies or is it just a mi...  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. Firstly, yes this is a mild form of chickenpox which occurs in those individuals who have very good immunity. But important thing in your history is that you already had chicken pox in your childhood. Once after getting chickenpox, it is e...  Read Full »