Inhomogeoneous Opacity

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A chest x-ray is a routine part of any pre-employment checkup. Your query regarding reporting of x-ray as bilateral inhomogeneous opacities suggests old or active infection most probably tuberculosis. So, it is advisable to do sputum AFB test (acid-fast bacilli) to rul...  Read Full »

My father has inhomogeneous opacity in the lung. How to treat him?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has a round inhomogeneous opacity in the right middle of the lung. He is taking Ceftum 600. How to treat him?  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common cause of this condition is pneumonia. This will require an antibiotic as Ciprofloxacin 1 g every 12 hours for 10 days. Make sure he drinks plenty of fluids and gets enough rest. After completing the antibiotic course repeat the x-ray. If the ...  Read Full »

Are the opacities in my chest x-ray due to cold?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a chest x-ray for medical examination. The doctor asked me to take the x-ray twice. These days, I am suffering from cold and throat pain. Will it affect my result? Earlier I had some allergy, but nowadays I did not have that problem. Is it a serious problem to consider? Please guid...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is an opaque small mass that could be just a normal blood vessel or an abscess or a cystic mass. But in order to confirm, you need an MRI scan of your chest. The cold and throat pain are not the cause of these opacities. For further information consult an internal ...  Read Full »