Insomnia

Please suggest the diagnosis on my EEG report as I could not sleep.

Query: Hello doctor, Could you please analyze the EEG recording enclosed and provide me with a detailed diagnosis? The reason for this examination is that I have problems falling and staying asleep for two years. I sleep only three to four hours a day, with common medication not or poorly working, and al...  Read Full »

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The EEG (electroencephalogram) looks normal. There is no evidence of epilepetic activity. There are some changes which are benign (marked by blue pen) and no need to worry about that. I wo...  Read Full »

Why do I feel tired, have insomnia, and weight gain after getting thyroid glands removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I had both my thyroid glands removed eight years ago, and a small amount was left (in the size of half of my small nail). Since then, I am getting my blood test done every year, which comes back normal. I do not understand this as everybody needs two thyroid glands to work properly, an...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not the size of the thyroid gland, but it is the function that matters. In most of the thyroid gland removal, the left over gland will start hyper functioning and hence will take over the body function. So, if your blood work is normal means that a small part...  Read Full »

I am not getting sleep even after taking Stalopam. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from insomnia. I have been taking Stalopam for six months, but I am unable to sleep in the night. I had Feliz S Plus before two years, and it worked for me. But, I was advised by my doctor to stop it. What to do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Escitalopram may not help you to sleep since it does not have much sedative property. Feliz plus has Clonazepam in it, which will aid in sleep, but is not recommended long term. Since you have not mentioned any other symptoms regarding the presc...  Read Full »

Can taking different doses of Seroquel cause headaches?

Query: Hello doctor, I have ADHD, for which I take Seroquel 200 mg and Remeron 15 mg at 11 PM, every night. Last week, my doctor added Clonidine, which has to be taken at 4 PM. I felt fine after taking Clonidine, but four hours later, I decided to take a smaller amount of Seroquel 50 to100 mg, with the int...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I will like to inform you that the current pressure headache is just a coincidence rather than any relation to a drug.¬†There is no such thing which causes a headache due to Remeron (Mirtazapine) and Clonidine ...  Read Full »

Is insomnia a permanent side effect of Prednisone?

Query: Hello doctor, I had been taking Trazodone 400 mg and Luvox for depression. My doctor prescribed Prednisone 10 mg two tablets daily for 10 days for a cough. However, since taking Prednisone, my insomnia had worsened dramatically. I stopped taking Prednisone after 10 days, but my insomnia had not imp...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a well-known fact that Prednisone causes insomnia, but it is not permanent. It may take a few days to return to a normal sleep pattern as the sleep cycle is disturbed. Try to follow good sleep hygiene. If still unable to sleep after a few days then sleep promot...  Read Full »

How to reduce the dosage of Xanax gradually?

Query: Hello doctor, I am taking tablet Alprazolam 5mg (three tablets, a total of 1.5mg) at bedtime. I do not take any Alprazolam or any other benzodiazepines during the day. Also, I started taking Alprazolam about 6-8 months ago. Originally this was for a short period of insomnia due to a life situation w...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your detailed query which is self explanatory about the problem. It was lengthy but it contained only relevant thoughts necessary to express your deep rooted concern. First of all feeling nervous or anxious is common term and if you do not know what it mean...  Read Full »

Can Etizolam be used for inducing sleep?

Query: Dear Doctor, All my life (since as far back as I can remember in early childhood) I have struggled with chronic insomnia. I have tried every sorts of pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment you could imagine, having seen at least seven doctors over 15 years. I have tried everything from z...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all I would like to congratulate you and your doctor for finding a solution for your long standing problem which caused lots of impairment at your end. Regarding your statement "people build a tolerance to etizolam and so it must not be taken long term" I like...  Read Full »

Does Prozac insomnia go away?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a medical graduate having trouble in sleeping. My psychiatrist told it is a panic disorder. First she gave me Escitalopram 10 mg for which I got akathisia, severe irritability and sleeplessness got aggravated. She later changed it to Fludac 20 mg in the morning at 8 AM. I did not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluoxetine is known to cause significant insomnia in many patients as it is an activating drug. Even if it is taken early morning, it can still cause insomnia, particularly in the initial few days or weeks. My advice would be if you are doing well on Fluoxetine, apart ...  Read Full »

I have periods of a hypomania and insomnia with conflicting opinions. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, 1. I have periods of a hypomanic switch into periods of depression fast, but depression does not go to the point of suicidal thoughts. 2. Insomnia, extreme active periods and periods of no motivation to do anything. 3. Conflicting opinions, but also strong opinions. 4. Two opposit...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most people with psychiatric conditions like psychosis, schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, etc. do not realize they are ill. That is called a lack of insight. The fact that you are concerned about yourself enough to ask for help here means that you have an idea. You a...  Read Full »

What is Rexipra used for?

Query: Hello doctor, I am taking Olmasera 50 for BP. I am insomniac and I am taking Rexipra for that. All my other reports are normal. Still I do not get sleep. My BP is still 140/90. I have taken Alparax 25 before but has not helped. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For BP control, take tablet Amlodipine 5 mg along with your current medicine. For sleep problem, replace with tablet Lorazepam 1 mg at night. Avoid excessive caffiene, tea, etc., before sleep. Make environment for sleep. Please note: Tablet Olmesartan and all other medici...  Read Full »