Q. Please suggest some good medicine for recurring insomnia.

I have been having recurring insomnia now and then. In a month at least five to eight days I have no proper sleep and it is hampering my day to day activities. I lack interest. I am under stress and my mind feels foggy. I am on Escitalopram 10 mg. Please suggest me some good medicine which can help me to cope with this. Thank you.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern.

• A lot of individuals have recurring insomnia and sometimes they suffer from nonrefreshing sleep.
  • In some individuals depression also aggravates insomnia and thus worsens the symptoms.
  • For depression with insomnia drugs like tablet Mirtazapine can help. This is a safe drug. It helps in getting good sleep and also will control the depressive symptoms you are having.
  • Conventional sleep medicines like tablet Zolpidem or Zopiclone can also help. Since these drugs might cause dependence, I would not advise you to take these drugs regularly.
  • Occasional use of these drugs for sleep can improve the situation. But, if symptoms persist then Mirtazapine is the drug of choice.

Tablet Mirtazapine or Zolpidem or Zopiclone can be taken.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Is it something I have to take for six months or one year or longer duration and then discontinue? Or should I use it SOS?

#

• Out of these drugs, tablet Zolpidem or Zopiclone can be taken on SOS (if necessary) basis. But, these are safe and useful only if used occasionally like once or twice a week.
  • These drugs are free of serious side effects and help in good refreshing sleep. But, if these drugs are used regularly then there is risk of dependence. 
  • Tablet Mirtazapine is a safe drug if we consider dependence.
  • Mirtazapine at the dose of 7.5 to 15 mg will help in sleep and also helps in controlling depression.
  • This should be taken regularly for at least three to six months. Then the drug dose can be reduced gradually over 4-6 weeks and can be stopped.
  • This will help you in coming out of depression and insomnia consequently. The drug is safe and should be used regularly.

Depression, anxiety and primary insomnia.

1. Tablet Mirtazapine 7.5 mg one at bedtime.
2. If needed dose can be increased to 15 mg per day in 4 weeks.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

They denied to give the medicine saying it is a scheduled drug and prescription is required. Please let me know how to go about it. Can a scanned prescription be made available?

#

• Yes, Zolpidem is a scheduled drug and cannot be taken without written prescription.
  • Scanned online prescription are not acceptable in few countries and chemists will refuse to dispense.
  • You can visit a GP and can ask for its prescription. This should surely help you. Or you can go with Mirtazapine which is not a controlled substance.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|