Q. My dad suffers from constipation, buzzing in ears, anxiety, and insomnia. Please help.

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 29, 2020

My dad is 64 years old and suffers from severe constipation, anxiety, numbness in his arms but only during sleep, buzzing in ears, and insomnia. He cannot sleep at all at night we have to give him sleeping pills sometimes, does not talk much to us but always wants us to be beside him and always mumbling what will I do or other things I cannot recognize.

He did MRI two months ago and it showed involutional changes, early small artery disease but the above symptoms were not there, there was only constipation, but now after we went to a doctor he gave him two medicines for his anxiety and sleep. But after taking these two pills his condition got worse. Please explain in detail that what is going on with him and can the medicines really worsen his condition? What are we supposed to do now? Please help.

#

I will suggest some of the medications as well as remedies for quick result. First of all, do not be so anxious everything will be gonna alright.

Ringing in the ear is known as tinnitus. Please follow these precautions to prevent the buzzing sound in the ear.

1. Avoid excess cold water head bath.

2. Avoid excess traveling.

3. Avoid intake of so much spicy and bitter food.

4. Administration of the cow ghee one tablespoon every day.

5. Applying oil around the ear and on the scalp.

Treatment for severe constipation include intake of 5 to 10 gram of the ghee in diet daily, intake of food rich with diet fibers, intake of warm water in the morning and evening.

Treatment of insomnia include stimulus control therapy. This method helps remove factors that condition the mind to resist sleep. For example, you might be coached to set a consistent bedtime and wake time and avoid naps. Use the bed only for sleep and sex, and leave the bedroom if you cannot go to sleep within 20 minutes, only returning when you are sleepy.

Sleep restriction: Lying in bed when you are awake can become a habit that leads to poor sleep. This treatment decreases the time you spend in bed, causing partial sleep deprivation, which makes you more tired the next night. Once your sleep has improved, your time in bed is gradually increased.

Sleep hygiene: This method of therapy involves changing basic lifestyle habits that influence sleep, such as smoking or drinking too much caffeine late in the day, drinking too much alcohol, or not getting regular exercise. It also includes tips that help you sleep better, such as ways to wind down an hour or two before bedtime.

Sleep environment improvement: This offers ways that you can create a comfortable sleep environment, such as keeping your bedroom quiet, dark and cool, not having a TV in the bedroom, and hiding the clock from view.

Relaxation training: This method helps you calm your mind and body. Approaches include meditation, imagery, muscle relaxation and others.

|