Q. My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
Published on Mar 03, 2018

I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterday afternoon and most of today. I did see an audiologist several days who examined and tested my hearing. No hearing loss was found, and he said my ears looked healthy. He was optimistic in saying I should improve in the coming weeks. Should I be concerned that the loudness returned? And do I have a good chance of recovery being that no hearing loss appears to have occurred?

I am currently on Bactrim for rosacea, Provostatin for cholesterol and took steroid Prednisone for five days for ears.

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

The cause of tinnitus is usually idiopathic. Every normal person can hear that sound many times in their lives. It goes away as suddenly as it had started.

There is no reason for worrying as you have no hearing loss. So relax, do not worry as these kinds of tinnitus is intermittent.

Sometimes some situations, some kinds of food can start that tinnitus.

As you reported that the sound was on scale 3, please try to avoid it.

If the tinnitus is disturbing you, consult audiologist for TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy).

For more information consult an audiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/audiologist

Does tinnitus go away on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, Two months ago, I developed tinnitus which is not yet corrected. At that time, I had water trapped in my right ear but now my ear blockage problem is resolved but my tinnitus problem is not resolved. After this, I went to an ENT and he told me I have a swelling in my left ear. Now he ...  Read Full »

Here Is What You Need to Know About Earwax

Article Overview: Wax is a natural secretion of the ceruminous and sebaceous glands found in the ear canal. It protects the eardrum from infections, trauma, and water. Though wax is not a problem, excess wax is. Professional help must always be taken for wax cleaning. Read Article

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Earwax is a natural secretion and has antibacterial and lubricant properties. It also protects the eardrum from infections, trauma, and water. Some people produce soft wax, while others produce hard wax. This is genetically determined. Normally, earwax occurs as fine flakes which fall off durin...  Read Article

Understanding the Basics of Tinnitus

Article Overview: Tinnitus or ringing in the ears is a common symptom seen due to various reasons. This article talks in detail about tinnitus and when you need to consult a doctor for it. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Audiologist

Tinnitus is described as a sensation of ringing that is perceived in the absence of an external sound. It is not a disease per se, but the symptom of an underlying condition. It can be so disturbing that the person is unable to carry on with his routine work and feels depressed and agitated. Sympto...  Read Article

Ask an Audiologist Now