Q. Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

My mother is in a care home and is experiencing very loud tinnitus. She is becoming very stressed and anxious as this has been going on for months. We have asked her GP to help but it does not seem that anything can be done. She has had her ears cleared but this has not helped either. She is 89, on beta blockers, and recently prescribed a water tablet in place of a blood pressure tablet that is known to cause tinnitus but the problem is still ongoing. My question is, would it be advisable to ask for something like Propranolol or similar to be prescribed as she is very distressed? Do you think this would help to keep her calm and perhaps help with tinnitus which I am sure is made worse by her anxious state? She is very deaf now and finds it difficult to wear her hearing aids as she has a perforated ear. Can you help as this is very distressing to see her in this state? Thank you.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Does she have any ear discharge too?
  • What medicines has she been taking for hypertension?

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Thank you for your reply. Medication profile: Adcal-D3 two twice a day, Amlodipine 10 mg one a day, Paracetamol 500 mg four times a day, Senna tablet 7.5 mg one at night, Zopiclone tablets 3.75 mg one at night, Alenoronic acid 70 mg one per week, Bendroflumethiazide 2.5 mg one a day. One month ago taken off Ramipril relaced with Bendroflumethiazide 2.5 mg one a day. No ear discharge, deafness has increased (but she has always suffered deafness to some degree). Had ears suctioned three months ago (but tinnitus still ongoing). (No dementia) very unhappy and stressed at being in the care home and she suffers from OCD which is adding to her anxious state. Now the tinnitus which is making her life unbearable. She also suffers from osteoporosis. It is her anxiousness that worries us most which we think is making the tinnitus worse.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The hearing loss is due to age-related sensory neural loss. It is usually accompanied by tinnitus.

Continue with the medicines she is already taking. Also give tablet Cinnarizine 75 mg once daily for at least two weeks. It is usually given for two to three months. This helps to treat tinnitus.

Consult her specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Secondly, make her use a hearing aid. It will help her hearing problem as well as tinnitus.

All the medicines I have suggested will be available only on prescription. Any further questions are always welcome. Take care.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Thank you so much for your answer. I will contact my mother's GP and ask for a prescription for the Cinnarizine. Hopefully, this will help with the tinnitus (she is now hearing music)? Thankfully, she does realize that the sound is coming from within her ears. I do hope the medication will also help with the anxiety. Thank you once again. I am very grateful.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You are always welcome with any queries in the future too.

I hope my advice proves helpful to you. Thanks and regards.

|