Q. Could my insomnia be due to increase in Zoloft dosage?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

I have been taking 100 mg of Zoloft for a number of years. On 14th, my doctor added another 50 mg which I take at bedtime. For the past few days, I have been experiencing severe insomnia and can rarely sleep for more than an hour at a time. In addition, I have begun taking 25 mg of Seroquel three times a day. Could the increase in Zoloft three weeks ago be causing this recent bout of insomnia? If yes, how long after my doctor returns to the old dosage before this side effect diminishes?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

The increase of the dose of Zoloft (Sertraline) can cause sleep problem, as you are facing currently. To manage this, you can change the time from night to morning or afternoon. If you altogether stop night doses of Zoloft (return back to 100 mg per day), then this sleep issue will me resolve within four to five days.

Another way to manage sleep is to take Seroquel (Quetiapine) 25 mg in morning and 50 mg at night time. By this, your sleep will be normal as Seroquel has sedative property.

Try to manage adequate sleep hygiene, like do not sleep during daytime, no coffee after 5 PM, no alcohol, etc.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Why would my inability to sleep not occur until I had been taking the increased dosage for about three weeks?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

Yes, Zoloft has some activating effects that may become evident only after one or two weeks. This may be the cause of your sleep problem. To minimize this, you may take Zoloft total dose of 150 mg in the morning. That works well in few persons.

|