Insulin Glargine

Even though I am taking Insulin, my sugar levels are high. What shall I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a known diabetic for the past 15 years. 20 days ago, my HbA1c was 9.83. I am 54 years old and my weight is 87 kg. My medications are Metformin 500 mg, Hcl 1500 mg, Istavel 100 mg and Glaritus Insulin 30 units. Even then the sugar levels are 246, 265 and 277 after every three hours ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have a few questions for you as I would like to know more about your diabetes history. Can you please share what are your morning blood sugars in fasting? When do you give yourself Insulin and how often? Have you ever tried a higher dose of Metformin or other diabe...  Read Full »

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your high blood sugar levels and from the lab results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you have uncontrolled diabetes and dyslipidemia, that is, high cholesterol. According to your HbA1C, it is recommen...  Read Full »

When will my blood sugar level come back to acceptable levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with type II diabetes five years back. I have maintained good sugar control. Currently, I am taking Trulicity 1.5 weekly, Lantus nightly and 2000 mg of Metformin with my evening meal. Toward the end of last year, my diet was not good, as I was eating a lot of carbohyd...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have started proper diet control, your blood sugar levels are getting better and better day by day. Yes, it does take some time to get back to normal once you are careful about your diet and exercise. You can check your HbA1c levels now and after three mon...  Read Full »

My 2 year old kid's sugar levels are out of control. Please guide us.

Query: Hello doctor, My 2 year old daughter was diagnosed diabetic and I am giving four units of Lantus and two boluses Novo rapid for each meal three times. But still, her sugar levels are not in control. We give her low-carb and proper diet. What should we do now as none of the doctors we consulted are a...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. From what you have mentioned, it appears that your daughter has insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and you are concerned about her high blood sugar. I would request that you record for three days her fasting blood sugar (FBS), two hours post m...  Read Full »

Why did not the glucose monitor value and HbA1c coincide?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been suffering from diabetes for the past 20 years. He is using Apidra (20 units in the morning and 14 units in the evening), Lantus (20 units in the morning) Insulin injections and Cyblex MV 40.2 mg twice a day. He regularly checks his blood sugar level using glucose monito...  Read Full »

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diabetic medications followed by your father have controlled his blood sugar level in the range of 90 to 130 mg/dL. The reading shown by the glucose monitor is the current value during the time of check, but HbA1c always denotes the control of sugar level over two ...  Read Full »