Q. When will my blood sugar level come back to acceptable levels?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Jul 27, 2018

I was diagnosed with type II diabetes five years back. I have maintained good sugar control. Currently, I am taking Trulicity 1.5 weekly, Lantus nightly and 2000 mg of Metformin with my evening meal.

Toward the end of last year, my diet was not good, as I was eating a lot of carbohydrates and I was also a little irregular in taking my medicines. About a week and a half ago, I got vigilant again about eating a low-carbohydrate diet and taking my medicines regularly.

My blood sugar got as high as 380 mg/dl during this period. In the week and a half since I have gotten back on track, I have seen my sugars starting to trend downward. I have had readings as low as 164 mg/dl and the highest in the last few days was around 250 mg/dl.

I am wondering if it typically takes a while for blood sugar to return to acceptable levels, once they have become as elevated as mine. And, do you think I need additional medication in order to achieve that?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Since you have started proper diet control, your blood sugar levels are getting better and better day by day. Yes, it does take some time to get back to normal once you are careful about your diet and exercise.

You can check your HbA1c levels now and after three months to get an accurate account of how well your blood sugar is controlled, once you are back on track. If it does not work out then we can review again in three months for further management.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Is there anything that you could recommend to help me in getting my blood sugar numbers to become lower?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Yes, sure. You can increase the dose of your Lantus insulin by four units. Keep on checking your fasting blood sugar levels for next 3 to 4 days. If it is still high, you can further increase by four units. Be careful about hypoglycemia though.

Anytime your blood sugar is below 100 mg/dl, then please decrease the dose of Lantus by four units the next day and eat something at that time of hypoglycemia. Also, exercise, like brisk walk can improve your insulin sensitivity considerably. Thereby, decreasing the need for insulin.

Related Video

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your sugar reports, it is confirmed that you are not diabetic. But, you are prone to get diabetes as fasting sugar is impaired and normally it should be less than 100. So, I would recommend you lifestyle modification like exercise for at least 30 minutes per day fo...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I like to tell you that you are doing a great job by managing strict diet restrictions and regular exercises.¬†Please do continue exercising for at least 45 minutes daily. Now, coming to your concern regarding the medications, Insulin is definitely the most natur...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now