Q. When will my blood sugar level come back to acceptable levels?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I was diagnosed with type II diabetes five years back. I have maintained good sugar control. Currently, I am taking Trulicity 1.5 weekly, Lantus nightly and 2000 mg of Metformin with my evening meal.

Toward the end of last year, my diet was not good, as I was eating a lot of carbohydrates and I was also a little irregular in taking my medicines. About a week and a half ago, I got vigilant again about eating a low-carbohydrate diet and taking my medicines regularly.

My blood sugar got as high as 380 mg/dl during this period. In the week and a half since I have gotten back on track, I have seen my sugars starting to trend downward. I have had readings as low as 164 mg/dl and the highest in the last few days was around 250 mg/dl.

I am wondering if it typically takes a while for blood sugar to return to acceptable levels, once they have become as elevated as mine. And, do you think I need additional medication in order to achieve that?

#

Since you have started proper diet control, your blood sugar levels are getting better and better day by day. Yes, it does take some time to get back to normal once you are careful about your diet and exercise.

You can check your HbA1c levels now and after three months to get an accurate account of how well your blood sugar is controlled, once you are back on track. If it does not work out then we can review again in three months for further management.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Is there anything that you could recommend to help me in getting my blood sugar numbers to become lower?

#

Yes, sure. You can increase the dose of your Lantus insulin by four units. Keep on checking your fasting blood sugar levels for next 3 to 4 days. If it is still high, you can further increase by four units. Be careful about hypoglycemia though.

Anytime your blood sugar is below 100 mg/dl, then please decrease the dose of Lantus by four units the next day and eat something at that time of hypoglycemia. Also, exercise, like brisk walk can improve your insulin sensitivity considerably. Thereby, decreasing the need for insulin.

|