Q. When will my blood sugar level come back to acceptable levels?

Answered by Dr. Shaikh Sadaf and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Diabetes or Hypoglycemia? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I was diagnosed with type II diabetes five years back. I have maintained good sugar control. Currently, I am taking Trulicity 1.5 weekly, Lantus nightly and 2000 mg of Metformin with my evening meal.

Toward the end of last year, my diet was not good, as I was eating a lot of carbohydrates and I was also a little irregular in taking my medicines. About a week and a half ago, I got vigilant again about eating a low-carbohydrate diet and taking my medicines regularly.

My blood sugar got as high as 380 mg/dl during this period. In the week and a half since I have gotten back on track, I have seen my sugars starting to trend downward. I have had readings as low as 164 mg/dl and the highest in the last few days was around 250 mg/dl.

I am wondering if it typically takes a while for blood sugar to return to acceptable levels, once they have become as elevated as mine. And, do you think I need additional medication in order to achieve that?