Q. Why has the infant not defecated for a few days?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

My 45-day-old nephew has not defecated for the last two days. Today is the third day. He is taking his feeds well and having a sound sleep. His urine output is good. Also, he is leaving gas as usual. Kindly help.

#

This is one of the common complaints received.

It is absolutely normal for an infant to pass stool once in a week or 20 times a day in whatever consistency.

As long as the baby is active, is feeding well and is passing adequate urine there is nothing to worry.

Continue breastfeeding every two hours and keep baby warm.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|