Isoniazid

Will replacing Ethambutol with vitamin B12 injection help in diminishing vision problem?

Query: Hello doctor, Patient is a 61 year-old female. Six months ago she was diagnosed with bone TB and undergoing medication (Ethambutol, Rifampicin, and Isoniazid). After six months of usage, her eye vision is suddenly diminishing. Then her doctor told to discontinue Ethambutol immediately and started u...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I passed carefully through your question and reviewed your uploaded MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would explain that these MRI findings (T2 hyperintensity in the optic nerve and the optic chiasm) are in...  Read Full »

How to prevent the side effects of AKT-4 taken for tuberculosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am taking AKT-4 tablet for TB. It is affecting my ear and mind. Please suggest an idea to stay against it.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The anti-tubercular drug AKT-4 is a cocktail of four drugs namely Isoniazid, Rifampicin, Pyrazinamide, and Ethambutol. I will concentrate on the side effects that have disturbed you now, side effects on the ear and the neurological effects. Most of the neurological ...  Read Full »

What does my child's Mantoux test indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My kid is 2.5 years old. She keeps getting cough and cold every month. She is very sensitive to weather change. We consulted a local doctor and he advised for Mantoux test. The report says that the erythema and induration developed around 18x16 mm area after 48 hours. What does it mean? ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recurrent episodes of cough and cold occur when the child has decreased immunity due to some illness or it could be a symptom of tuberculosis. Mantoux test of more than 10x10 mm is suggestive of tuberculosis. In your child, it is 18x16 mm which is strongly positive. In...  Read Full »

How is multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. I have attached the reports. Please suggest a way to treat this.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen both the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Sputum report is positive and has also grown Mycobacterium tuberculosis. But the sensitivity test for all five first-line drugs is not done. Patient weight is also not mentioned. If it is...  Read Full »

How long does it take for the bone pain to fully reduce with AKT 4?

Query: Hello doctor, It all started with tailbone and sit bones pain. After one month, left buttock and upper thigh started to pain, severity increased and was difficult to walk. I was advised Nucoxia for a week but even after that severity was the same, then I had MRI scan and was diagnosed left psoas ab...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have Potts spine which is similar to tuberculosis of the spine. see it takes almost six weeks for AKT (Ethambutol and Isoniazid) to work. It is a slow process. What you need to know i...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for prolonged fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother is suffering from fever for more than 45 days. All the tests and scans are done. Bone marrow and hepatitis report came as negative. AB culture and TB culture report are yet to come. There was a bacteria Weil-Felix - rickettsia came as positive. His WBC count is 22000. He had me...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no doubt that he is suffering from severe infection. It could be due to rickettsia or tuberculosis. Doxycyline is the first line drug to treat rickettsial infection and fever should have subsided within 48 to 72 hours after starting therapy. But, it did not show ...  Read Full »

I have pus oozing lesion in my underarm. What can it be?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41 year old female. I am obese. My weight is 89 kg and height is 5 feet 7 inches. Currently, I am taking Thyronorm 75 mcg and Storfib 145. Previously, I used to get lymph node enlargement in underarms and groin area, but they never become lesions. I have been having a pus oozin...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might be suffering from hidradenitis suppurativa, skin disease that causes abscess and scarring which commonly affects sweat glands. Are both underarms affected? Please send good quality photographs for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment. Revert back with t...  Read Full »

How long should I take treatment to dissolve a tuberculosis lump?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small lump on the right side of my neck near the cervical area. I have been having this for the last one month. Although I am on treatment, the lump has not gone. The doctor took out the pus from the infected area, and the laboratory reports confirmed it as tuberculosis. In that...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you have a lump in the neck and was diagnosed with tuberculosis. AFB stain (acid-fast bacilli) might also have done for that apart from FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) to confirm it. Initially before testing, you were not responding because you ...  Read Full »

Will I be in trouble if I hang out with a friend having TB?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend said he got a TB test a long time ago and it came out positive and he never went back and I had a positive test done also but I have taken pills for nine months because I caught it right away. That is why I was able to go on pills. They never gave me a shot so I will not get...  Read Full »

Dr. Siddesh G B

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As a matter of fact, TB is a communicable disease and you first got it because of your friend. You have completed nine months course. But, after that, did you check for tuberculosis like whether it is actually cured or just treated? If not, you have to check it through...  Read Full »

Are my dad's TB medicines the reason for a change in his behavior?

Query: Hello doctor, My father has been a diabetic patient for the past 20 years. Six months ago, he got affected by pulmonary tuberculosis and got administered with anti-TB drugs and insulin was administered in basal bolus regimen. Now both TB and diabetes are well under control. For the past one week, he...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. From your description, I feel it is more than just stress. A simple thing such as stress can not be attributed to these many complex symptoms. In my opinion, there are two possibilities which should be ruled out before ca...  Read Full »