Joint Swelling

I have swelling and pain in DIP joints. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had pain and a tiny bump on right pinky (DIP) for over six months, only when I touch it. Now I have slight stiffness in two other DIP joints and one PIP joint (same R hand which I use a lot on the computer, maybe two hours a day). Also one DIP joint other hand. It got much worse ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, as per your clinical history and symptoms it does look like nodal osteoarthritis of the hands. My point in favor: 1. DIP joints are never involved in rheumatoid arthritis. If they are inflamed we have to think of alternative diagnosis. Either OA or psoriatic arth...  Read Full »

I have numbness in fingers with swollen joints. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been waiting for over a year to meet with a rheumatologist in my area. I am 39 years old, and a year and a half ago I was in the best shape of my life, having 10 % body fat, working out 4 to 5 days a week. I own my company and work on a computer daily, and my hobbies include ti...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the possibility of inflammatory arthritis is definitely there, however that can be confirmed only when a rheumatologist examines you. The other symptoms are prolonged stiffness in your hands lasting more than half an hour, swollen knuckles and tenderness. The pain wh...  Read Full »

Why am I having swelling and pain in the joints with disability to walk?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having severe joint pains for two days. Initially, I had a fever. but now it has subsided but unable to move or walk freely as all joints seemed swollen.  Read Full »

Dr. Ella Maponya

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Acute generalized joint pain is an uncomfortable problem that needs attention as soon as possible especially because you are unable to move or walk freely. Diseases that can cause the kind of joint pain you are having include Gout where uric acid forms crystals that dep...  Read Full »

Do my symptoms of soreness, stiffness and swelling of joints sound like rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Dear doctor, I have recently had a baby. I experience sore, stiff hands in the morning, swelling, hard bumps on the elbow. There is a history of rheumatoid arthritis in my family. Blood work is negative. Should I go to a rheumatologist?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it seems that you are suffering fromrheumatoid arthritis. This is more in females, having morning stiffness of the joint and improve during the day and presence of nodules over bony prominences. Yes, you need to go to a rheumatologist for proper eval...  Read Full »

I have pain due to RA in spite of taking medicines. Please tell me what I can do.

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with RA two years back and I am taking treatment for the same. My left knee is affected badly and the swelling is not coming down. Initially, I was not able to walk, but now I can walk slowly but cannot climb the staircase or fold my left leg completely. Recently I am...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your rheumatoid arthritis is not controlled which is evident from your high ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) of 60. The reason for this is that you are not adequate...  Read Full »

My fingers are forming knobs and hurt. Why is it so?

Query: Hello doctor, I have seen a rheumatologist and all my tests on autoimmune diseases are normal. He even ordered hand X-rays and they are normal. My fingers are forming knobs on them and hurt constantly. My movement is getting more and more limited. I can barely bend my affected fingers. I feel sick...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the markers for inflammatory arthritis are negative, then, the possibility of chronic fatigue syndrome is there. I suggest you to start Pregabalin or Duloxetine to see the response which will be helpful in chronic fatigue syndrome. Consult with your specialist doc...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have swelling on ankles, elbows and some fingers along with deformity in right wrist. Currently, I am taking ayurvedic medication. I need consultation.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, have completed your family, and do not want to conceive further, then start DMARDS (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs), Methotrexate 15 mg once a week and Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg morning and evening if you have ac...  Read Full »

I have a pain, swelling and stiffness in my neck. Please suggest a treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old male weighing 70 kg. I have a swelling at the back of the neck. There is also a neck stiffness and giddiness as if the blood supply to the head reduced. I had sudden stretching at the same point 10 years back and had suffered the same problem for six months th...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You had a sudden stretching of the neck, followed by severe pain 10 years back. Now, you are complaining of the same pain with swelling at the back of the neck with a feeling of giddiness. From your description, it seems that there is some sort of an injury to your c...  Read Full »

The backs of both my knees are swollen after a hike. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, The backs of both my knees are swollen after a hike. When I first noticed this, I thought I got bitten by a mosquito or a bug. So, I applied After Bite to the area a little bit. The redness was reduced the next day but, it is still swollen. I see a lump right behind the knees. I can co...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly send me a picture of the attached area. Only then can I comment on the condition and the specialist you will have to visit. Revert with more information to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician...  Read Full »

How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?

Query: Hello doctor, My primary care physician said that I may have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1 and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA, if that is what I have.  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the chances that you have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) or are developing it, are high. Anti-CCP antibodies are associated with RA and may also indicate an aggressive disease. However, there are various prognostic markers. This is only one of them. A high ESR and CRP,...  Read Full »