Joint Swelling

I have consistent joint pain and swelling after fever. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40 year old female. My weight is around 75 kg and height is 5 feet. I had fever about four months back for two days. Then, I started suffering from joint pain and swelling. I took some medicine, but there was no long-term effect. Currently, I am taking NAC 100 SR, a painkiller. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This year we saw a surge in chikungunya cases. As you are having pain post the fever episode, it seems to be that. But, it is necessary to rule out other possibilities like rheumatologic conditions. I suggest you to get antinuclear antigen (ANA), Rh factor and C-reactive...  Read Full »

My fingers are forming knobs and hurt. Why is it so?

Query: Hello doctor, I have seen a rheumatologist and all my tests on autoimmune diseases are normal. He even ordered hand X-rays and they are normal. My fingers are forming knobs on them and hurt constantly. My movement is getting more and more limited. I can barely bend my affected fingers. I feel sick...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the markers for inflammatory arthritis are negative, then, the possibility of chronic fatigue syndrome is there. I suggest you to start Pregabalin or Duloxetine to see the response which will be helpful in chronic fatigue syndrome. Consult with your specialist doc...  Read Full »

Can Crohn's disease result in joint swelling and pain?

Query: Good afternoon, My age :27 Weight :55kg Height : 155cm I’m affected by Crohn's disease since 11 years. I was first diagnosticate by several other diseases so I had wrong medicines since then, now I really need help because all my joints are swollen with pain especially at the morning I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Ambadi Kumar

Integrative Medicine Specialist, Internal Medicine Physician, Wellness Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hi our Gut is the gateway to health. All diseases begin in the Gastro intestinal system due to faulty diet ,lifestyle habits ,environmental toxin Lifestyle diseases can be reversed naturally with lifestyle and diet changes only. Medicines will not work for any lifestyle disease.They only put a te...  Read Full »

Even after quitting Allopurinol, I have swelling and pain in toe and finger joints. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old with no history of hypertension, Gout family history, diabetics, kidney disease and no medical drug usage. My BMI: 28.2. Triglycerides: 292 (high). Fasting glucose level: 104. HDL: 31. LDL: 166. I have my first experience of Gout attack at my first joint ...  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of gout is unclear but seems to be multifactorial which includes a combination of genetic, hormonal, metabolic, and dietary factors. Other factors such as family history, advancing age in male or, in women early menopause have also been associated with a...  Read Full »

Why do I get swollen hands and feet post fever treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 years old. My sickness started with a slight fever Tuesday night, then Wednesday I got a higher temperature of 38.1. Then Thursday night rashes appeared. I went to a local doctor Friday morning as my fever reach 39 degrees C. They gave me a fast drip to lower my temperature. T...  Read Full »

Dr. Aleph

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Has this happened before or is it the first time? Can you describe the rashes or better a photo of it? Is it itchy, is it generalized or located in specific areas, blanching, flat or elevated? Regarding the swelling of the hands and feet, Is it the first time? Does tak...  Read Full »

What causes swollen fingers with no pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like an opinion as to why the ring finger on my son’s left hand is swollen, the middle finger is a little swollen and possibly some fingers on his right hand are too (but less so). They are not painful. This started about a year ago, a rheumatologist saw him then and th...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the history and the pictures along with the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to ask you a few more questions to conclude the diagnosis and how to proceed further with it. Does he complain of early morning s...  Read Full »

Is there a therapy for painful swollen joints?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 45 years old female. Her weight is usually between 35 kg to 42 kg. She is suffering from severe pain and swollen joints for the past 15 years. Due to lack of financial resource we were unable to get treatment. Is there any therapy to heal her? She is unable to fully move her ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all a proper diagnosis has to be made for the cause of her swollen joints. It could be due to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis (RA) or gout. Once correct diagnosis is made then the treatment can be initiated. So, I need to know whether any tests has been done...  Read Full »

I have swelling and pain in DIP joints. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had pain and a tiny bump on right pinky (DIP) for over six months, only when I touch it. Now I have slight stiffness in two other DIP joints and one PIP joint (same R hand which I use a lot on the computer, maybe two hours a day). Also one DIP joint other hand. It got much worse ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, as per your clinical history and symptoms it does look like nodal osteoarthritis of the hands. My point in favor: 1. DIP joints are never involved in rheumatoid arthritis. If they are inflamed we have to think of alternative diagnosis. Either OA or psoriatic arth...  Read Full »

I have numbness in fingers with swollen joints. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been waiting for over a year to meet with a rheumatologist in my area. I am 39 years old, and a year and a half ago I was in the best shape of my life, having 10 % body fat, working out 4 to 5 days a week. I own my company and work on a computer daily, and my hobbies include ti...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the possibility of inflammatory arthritis is definitely there, however that can be confirmed only when a rheumatologist examines you. The other symptoms are prolonged stiffness in your hands lasting more than half an hour, swollen knuckles and tenderness. The pain wh...  Read Full »

Why am I having swelling and pain in the joints with disability to walk?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having severe joint pains for two days. Initially, I had a fever. but now it has subsided but unable to move or walk freely as all joints seemed swollen.  Read Full »

Dr. Ella Maponya

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Acute generalized joint pain is an uncomfortable problem that needs attention as soon as possible especially because you are unable to move or walk freely. Diseases that can cause the kind of joint pain you are having include Gout where uric acid forms crystals that dep...  Read Full »