Q. Does raised kappa level indicate multiple myeloma?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2021

I have been diagnosed with CKD, and my GFR is 52. My recent blood test results show the following information. Kappa QNT free LT chains 41.60 mg/dL, lambda QNT free LT chains 0.96 mg/dL, KAP/LAM free LT chain ratio 43.33 and hemoglobin 15.8 g/dL. I was also detected with vitamin D deficiency, and the parathyroid test shows 118 pg/mL. Does this mean I have multiple myeloma? What other tests need to be performed to confirm it?

#

We are here to help you.

• A diagnosis of any disease is based on the symptoms and laboratory work. I need the following details to help you better.
  • Why were these tests performed? Do you have bone pain or any night sweats or any weight loss?
  • Please attach a scanned copy of your report, calcium levels and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).

Revert with the details to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

The reason for the test is decreased kidney function below 60 GFR. There is no night sweats, no weight loss and no bone pain. I have attached a copy of my blood work.

#

I have studied your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, definitely kappa levels are raised, but your calcium levels are within normal limits. In such case, immunoelectrophoresis is suggestive. But, it is not conclusive of multiple myeloma.
  • I would recommend in such case a bone marrow examination and biopsy to get a conclusive result and urine for Bence Jones protein.

For further information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

|