Q. Are knee cracking sound and vitamin D deficiency correlated?

Answered by Dr. Mahavir Patil and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Knee Cracking Sound or Low Back Pain? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Are knee cracking sound and vitamin D deficiency correlated?

My query is regarding knee joint and lower back pain. I usually get a cracking sound when I bend my knees and while getting up. The sound is not accompanied by pain. Is this a cause of concern? Please let me know if any test or x-ray needs to be done. I am also having lower back pain problem. While bending I experience this pain. I am also having vitamin D deficiency, which is 20.80 nmol/L. Do these knee joint sound and vitamin D deficiency correlated? Please suggest some way to treat this deficiency as spending time in the sun can increase the chance of cancer. Or please suggest the right time to be spent in sunlight. Do I need to take supplements for Vitamin D deficiency? If so, then please suggest a good one.