Q. I am 29 years old, but I look like a 40 year old. How to look my age?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

I am a 29 year old male, who looks like a 40 year old. I have aged very poorly. What caused this to happen? What can I do to look my proper age?

#

• Early aging can be a consequence of multiple factors. The most important ones are sun exposure, poor nutrition, improper sleep, bad lifestyle habits, and poor regular care of the skin.
  • Excessive sun exposure damages the normal texture of the skin by altering the collagen and elastic fibers. Poor intake of vitamin C rich foods and antioxidants further worsen this issue. Stressful habits, lack of regular fixed sleep cycles, and eating a lot of junk food adds a burden to this problem.
  • However, it is never too late, as there are measures which could help to recover to a fairly good extent. The most important of them is the use of a sunscreen lotion with SPF more than 30 in the mornings after a bath. This would help to protect the skin from further damage by photo exposure.
  • Also, you need to start focusing on vitamin C rich foods such as lemons and oranges. And fix a regular sleep time and avoid junk food. Kindly upload appropriate images of your present skin condition, so that I can suggest necessary creams accordingly.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you so much for your response. I have attached a photo for your better understanding of my problem.

#

• It is still not too late if you decide to take adequate care of your skin. Some of these following measures could help you.
  1. Sunscreen with SPF greater than 30, for your entire face, daily in the morning after bath.
  2. Preferably avoid sun exposure between 11 AM to 3 PM.
  3. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water every day.
  4. Eight hours of continuous sleep at night.
  5. Reduce intake of junk food and bakery stuff to the maximum possible.
  6. Use 0.1 % Adapalene gel, only a peanut volume to be applied to the entire face, only in the evenings, for not more than two hours. Prolonged applications may lead to dryness of the skin and lips.
  7. In the case of excessive dryness after using Adapalene, a break of 2 to 3 days can be given and then the treatment can be restarted.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|