Q. I have low back pain and frequent urination after sex. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I am 40 years old and have suffered from bouts of prostatitis a few times. I have not had an intimate life for many years. Now, I am having an intimate life with one person, who is clean as well as I am. After vigorous sex, I am having frequent urination, especially at night. I was wondering if vigorous sex can irritate me to bring this on. There is no blood in urine. I had a dipstick urinalysis a month ago and was cultured. All came back negative. But, I have low back pain. Also, my SG was 1.008. Is that low? Ay girlfriend was told that she has a UTI and is susceptible to UTI during sex. Is it something that can also affect me? Because, I am peeing a lot.

#

We are here to help you.

• Yes, your symptoms are consistent with either urinary tract infection (UTI) or prostatic enlargement. In fact, you might have benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) contributing to UTI.
  • Now the treatment part would consist of the following investigations:
  1. Urine routine and microscopy.
  2. Urine culture and sensitivity.
  3. Ultrasound abdomen.
  • Once the reports are available, we would discuss the further course of action. I would recommend a urine culture of your partner too, so that both get infection free.

For further information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Thank you so much doctor,

Yes, just tonight her urine was dipped and confirmed that she has a UTI. She was placed on antibiotics as I am assuming I am looking at the same again. She is 56 years old and I am 40.

#

• Ideally, antibiotics should be started once the urine culture has been given for the investigations. I would like to know which antibiotics have been started.
  • For you my recommendation would be to give your urine sample for test followed by the course of the same antibiotic till the culture report is available.

Revert back with the reports to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

|