Q. I have low back pain and frequent urination after sex. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I am 40 years old and have suffered from bouts of prostatitis a few times. I have not had an intimate life for many years. Now, I am having an intimate life with one person, who is clean as well as I am. After vigorous sex, I am having frequent urination, especially at night. I was wondering if vigorous sex can irritate me to bring this on. There is no blood in urine. I had a dipstick urinalysis a month ago and was cultured. All came back negative. But, I have low back pain. Also, my SG was 1.008. Is that low? Ay girlfriend was told that she has a UTI and is susceptible to UTI during sex. Is it something that can also affect me? Because, I am peeing a lot.

#

We are here to help you.

• Yes, your symptoms are consistent with either urinary tract infection (UTI) or prostatic enlargement. In fact, you might have benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) contributing to UTI.
  • Now the treatment part would consist of the following investigations:
  1. Urine routine and microscopy.
  2. Urine culture and sensitivity.
  3. Ultrasound abdomen.
  • Once the reports are available, we would discuss the further course of action. I would recommend a urine culture of your partner too, so that both get infection free.

For further information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Thank you so much doctor,

Yes, just tonight her urine was dipped and confirmed that she has a UTI. She was placed on antibiotics as I am assuming I am looking at the same again. She is 56 years old and I am 40.

#

• Ideally, antibiotics should be started once the urine culture has been given for the investigations. I would like to know which antibiotics have been started.
  • For you my recommendation would be to give your urine sample for test followed by the course of the same antibiotic till the culture report is available.

Revert back with the reports to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

| 

Should I go for treponemal test three years after sexual contact?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an STD question and hope to have an STD specialist doctor to assist me. I had a sexual contact three years ago and only last month I went for (VDRL nontreponemal test) and is negative. I have read online that after several years or after sometime usually, the result can be negativ...  Read Full »

I have frequent urination, thirst, and numbness in feet and hands. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old, my height is 166 cm and my weight is 54 kg. I am a female. I have been feeling symptoms of diabetes like thirst, urination more than usual, extreme hunger, numbness in feet and hands, tingling in my back, hands trembling, blurry vision, my wounds are taking so long to ...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Nephrologist Now