Left To Right Shunt

What does it mean to have a hole in the heart?

Query: Hi doctor, Our doctor said that my baby has a hole in the heart. I have attached the reports for your reference. Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, there is patent ductus arteriosus¬†that is shunting from left to right (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As it is large, go for its closure. Consult any pediatric cardiologist or even same doctors who have done echo may be doing the closure. Medicines...  Read Full »

Kindly advise regarding my chest pain as the test results are normal.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I have been experiencing chest discomfort like an achiness for the past couple of months. It comes and goes. I cannot tell if it gets worse with certain foods or after I eat. Sometimes I think it does, but then I tell myself that I might just be making that up. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cardiac origin of chest pain is highly unlikely in a 29 year old female. Female has a cardioprotective hormone called estrogen, which usually delays the onset of coronary artery disease till 65 years. The pain you get is most likely because of high levels of your...  Read Full »

Which is better for moderate OS ASD - medicines or surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, we came to know that my mother has a congenital heart disease (moderate OS ASD with left to right shunt) at the age of 46. And we consulted the doctors. One of them said it can be cured by medicines and another said surgery will be a better option. So, please help us as soon as...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. OS ASD (ostium secundum atrial septal defect) cannot be cured by medicines. Because it is diagnosed at 46 years, we need to close it. If she would be above 65 years of age, we could have left it. If we do not close it now, it will increase symptoms like breathing d...  Read Full »