Q. What does a hole in the heart mean?

Dr. Prashant Valecha
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

Our doctor said that my baby has a hole in the heart. I have attached the reports for your reference. Please explain.

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

• Yes, there is patent ductus arteriosus that is shunting from left to right (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As it is large, go for its closure.
  • Consult any pediatric cardiologist or even same doctors who have done echo may be doing the closure.
  • Medicines cannot close this. If it is not closed now, then it may create problem later.

For further information consult a cardiologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Please explain its effect on general health. Is it risky to operate?

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

• Effects and symptoms will occur when shunt will reverse from right to left.
  • It can be closed by the simple procedure like an angiogram (through an artery of the wrist or thigh).

|