Lithium

Does medication used for schizophrenic disorder cause weight loss and lethargy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male weighing 81 kg. I had my first manic episode 16 years back, for which I was put under psychiatric care for two months. Then again after a couple of years, I had some depressive symptoms for which I was prescribed Escitalopram 20 mg once daily and some ayurvedic ...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Mittal

Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you have bipolar affective disorder and currently in the depression phase. According to me, your thyroid disturbances should have been treated while taking Lithium, rather than discontinuing it, as Lithium is the best medicine for your condition. Los...  Read Full »

Is it possible for Lithium and Ibuprofen interaction to result in neurological toxicity?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27-year-old female. I have been taking Lithium 1200 mg for five years. Last year, I got an injury and it required regular pain management. So I was told to take Ibuprofen at a maximum dose. Within a week, I developed ataxia, muscle weakness, and spasticity, memory loss, polyuria...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.It is purely drug to drug interaction and it is well known with lithium. In fact, lithium interacts with many drugs and it is one of the drugs having a narrow therapeutic index. The symptoms of lithium toxicity can develop even with the absence of kidney damage as they are ...  Read Full »

Will lowering the dose of psychiatric drugs help to reduce the manic episodes in my son?

Query: Hi doctor, My 25-year-old son just came out of the psychiatric hospital and the medication given to him makes him more manic, delusional with side effects, but the doctor did not listen to them. Now I need to adjust quickly because he is escalating. This has happened after every release. They incre...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Stopping the medicines abruptly might precipitate withdrawal. But you can reduce the doses gradually. Tegretol can be reduced to 100 mg twice daily, and then after a week evening dose can be stopped. Dose of Temazepam can be halved, and then this can be stopped aft...  Read Full »

I have depression and diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Do I only have depression?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been experiencing mild depression since I was a child. My family problem made me extra depressed. After three years, I fell in love with a girl, but then she left me. This created a check for me, so I wanted to study more to prove myself. The depression kept increasing, but I sta...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good to know that you are feeling better on your current medication of Lithium and Abilify (Aripiprazole). From the information you have given, it is difficult to provide a comprehensive opinion, but it does look like you have experienced some hypomanic symptom...  Read Full »

Why am I moved to laugh though I intend to cry?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having an issue that is extremely difficult and bothering me, but my psychiatrist said he has never heard of it, and it is worrying me. I have been diagnosed with BPD, bipolar and OCD. I am 36 years old. I had kidney cancer last year and had surgery. I have been on Seroquel 50 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms could be related to bipolar disorder. You should know that bipolar disease can lead to episodes of depression and also mania (uncontrolled euphoria or laughter). An obsession could also mimic this situat...  Read Full »

Can you make a diagnosis of Grave's disease from my description?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you make a diagnosis of autoimmune or other thyroid disease based on the information? I was treated. My theory is I have autoimmune thyrotoxicosis or Graves' disease. I was taking Lithium for cluster migraine prevention. When I discontinued Lithium I become very anxious in line w...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.The diagnosis is correct viz hyperthyroid Graves' disease. You certainly need Methimazole for this as well as a thyroid surgery. You should not take Lithium for prolonged use. However, bearing in mind the side effects it has. But I understand you also need it for your gritt...  Read Full »

Please suggest a medicine to control aggression in bipolar disorder.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and no medicine help with her aggression. She is currently on Zolam and Clonafit. I have also attached her other prescription reports for your reference. My mother beats and abuses our maid. She defecates in the room whenever she wants to...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understood your concerns. First of all I feel that she is developing dementia as defecating in the room is not a characteristic of bipolar disorder. I understand she do it for punishing other family members and especially maid, but this is not so...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution to take Lithium for bipolar disorder during fasting.

Query: Hello doctor, I am on fasting for the auspicious month (dry fast), but I also have to take Lithium for my bipolar disorder. I have seen that higher Lithium concentration can cause serious damage to the kidney due to dehydration and also to the metabolism. During fasting and with keto diet the body...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. See, Lithium can be harmful if hydration is not well maintained. In such cases, we recommend to increase the amount of fluid. That is to consume a good quantity of fluid in the morning before your fast starts and to drink fluids once you open your fast in the evening, a...  Read Full »

Why is my son becoming so aggressive and impatient?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 13 years old. He is on Ritalin LA, Oleanz 5, Nuzak and Lithium. I think the doctors do not know what is really wrong and are experimenting on him? Recently he is telling lies, stealing and defiant. He does get agitated at times and shows aggression and has become very impatient....  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The medications seem to be for ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and bipolar disorder with psychotic features. He should be managed only by a psychiatrist. Aggression is a part of ADHD. The Ritalin (Methylphenidate hydrochloride) can cause sleep difficult...  Read Full »

My anxiety symptoms are coming back after stopping Lithium and Zoloft. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I was on Lithium 300 mg thrice a day and 50 mg Zoloft once a day for a year and a half but they were of no help so I stopped taking them. My anxiety symptoms are coming back. I have racing thoughts and panic attacks. I cannot wait for 30 days to see a psychiatrist. Would I be able to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will strongly recommend to consult your psychiatrist at the earliest so that your mental state can be reviewed and started back on appropriate medication. You may know that stopping medication without medical supervision puts you at risk of relapse. Also I note tha...  Read Full »