Liver Cirrhosis

Are my symptoms and elevated liver enzymes due to liver cirrhosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26-year-old male with a weight of 184 kilograms and a height of five feet seven inches. I am experiencing some weird symptoms for the past three months. I am a recovering binge eating addict. I use to eat fast food two to three times a day usually with meal size after work. Late...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your weight is slightly higher. Your body mass index is 27.2. Ideally, it should be less than 25. BMI is proportionate of your weight according to your height. So, you have a possibility of having fatty liver disease due to deranged liver function tests. Your FIB-4 (fib...  Read Full »

Based on the reports, please suggest the cause of the sudden changes in the liver.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53-year-old male. Before a year, I had painless jaundice. My MRCP report showed a mass on the head of the pancreas. My endoscopic USG showed a stricture in CBD and so a stent was inserted. My bilirubin came down and Whipple procedure was planned. As my TSH was more than 20 mIU/L...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have two possibilities. You can have long biliary obstruction due to CBD (common bile duct) compression. It can lead to cirrhosis causing biliary cirrhosis. Any abdominal infection can cause portal vein thrombosis. It leads to have a nodular texture in the liver...  Read Full »

Can liver failure cause blood in urine and weakness?

Query: Hi doctor,My 73 years old dad is becoming weak day by day, and he is 70 kg by weight and 5.2 inches by height. We consulted the doctor, who told us the urine contains blood, although it is not visible looking at urine. His leg was also swelling, and on medication, it became fine. He also added, it m...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand you must be very upset about your father. The history you provided provides a little clue of what exactly he is suffering with. Non-visible blood in urine is called microscopic hematuria. Some liver conditions can cause this problem, such as hepatiti...  Read Full »

May I know whether cirrhosis of liver become worse by continuous drinking of alcohol?

Query: During Covid i drank excessively. And was a regular drinker before. I had a bleeding episode before 5 months. My alt was 130 and i had an untra sound that was suspicious for early stage chirrosis. Now i haven't drank in 5 months. All my numbers are normal. Alt 30's i did have an endoscope that sho...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello welcome you to icliniq. Actually once cirrhosis is developed l, it is irreversible in nature. Meaning avoiding alcohol would prevent disease from progressing but never reset the cirrhosis back to normal liver tissue. Any further intake of alcohol however, would worsen the cirrhosis and thats...  Read Full »

What test should I undergo to rule out liver cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am very concerned about my liver. I have a history of alcohol use of approximately two to four beers per night, approximately five nights per week for nearly 20 years. I am under total abstinence for the past one year. My symptoms are aching pain in the back on the right side under...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Given the amount of alcohol that you are taking and the duration you have taken, it is likely that you can develop cirrhosis. But the development of cirrhosis is a gradual process, and it takes a long time before it is evident on the tests. Fibroscan is a useful modali...  Read Full »

Can NASH progress to cirrhosis due to drastic weight loss?

Query: I was diagnosed with NASH 6 years ago but not given any proper advice except lose weight. A Fibroscan reading of 4.3 (3 years back) and I was not told anything just given the paper readout. Last year, my Fibroscan was 6.6. And I was told “live your life” don’t worry. 2 months ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello. I welcome you to icliniq. The diagnosis of NASH means there was presence of inflammation in the liver. Which should be evident on ALT more than 1.5x normal or AST more than 1.5x normal, while excluding other etiologies and in absence of significant active alcohol intake. The Significant al...  Read Full »

Why do I have grade 1 fatty liver and raised AST even after medication and diet control?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year my ultrasound showed grade 1 fatty liver with AST 90 and ALT 143. After one month of diet control, AST and ALT came back to normal and was normal until the next six months. I again got it tested one week back and my ultrasound showing grade 1 fatty liver with 15.7 cm size. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from Grade 1 fatty liver with raised AST (aspartate aminotransferase) level. According to your investigations result (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your triglyceri...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for early stage liver cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, The scan for my maid's husband shows early liver cirrhosis. We need a consultation on the scan. He has stomach pain with water-filled abdomen. Is surgery necessary?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Bansari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your given details. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I agree with you that he is suffering from end stage liver disease and ultrasound is showing fatty liver. We need to look at the cause of this fatty liver, which could be due to e...  Read Full »

Does black stools suggest liver failure in alcoholic cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 59 years old. I was diagnosed with hepatitis C alcoholic cirrhosis, acute pancreatitis and that was almost two years. I am currently taking Levothyroxine 50 mg once daily, Labetalol Hydrochloride 100 mg once daily, Lisinopril 20 mg once daily. I was in the hospital at first to st...  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Black stools are indicative of acute gastrointestinal hemorrhage. Melena or black stools can also turn into a medical emergency if a lot of blood is lost and hence my sincere advice to you would be to go see a doctor as soon as possible. This does not signify liver f...  Read Full »

Does yellow vomit after drinking alcohol a sign of liver damage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. I consumed alcohol (whiskey) last Friday, about 20 ounces over 5 hours. I do not drink often. I had my dinner after taking alcohol. The next day morning I vomited, it was yellow and no food. An hour later, I vomited again, it was green and no food. I have no diarrh...  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You consumed a lot of alcohol, very close to the toxic level, and hence you have developed alcohol-induced gastritis. You cannot permanently damage your liver by binge drinking once. However, if you keep drinking frequently, you will develop fatty liver which later ...  Read Full »