Q. What is the cause for scoliosis and leg trembling?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil
Published on Jul 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

When I was 10 years old, I had spine surgery for removing a lipoma tumor. I was fine before surgery. After the surgery, I was unable to walk as my right leg became very weak. Now my age is 20 years. I can walk and play now. But, I walk with some difficulty, and after surgery, I had bulgy scoliosis. But from year to year scoliosis got 70 % alright. I have started playing badminton for a month. Yesterday, during playing, I had some pin pain in the area of my scoliosis. The scoliosis area on my right spine is paining inside. When I touch the place, it looks loose with nerves moving here and there.

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

The present pain in the scoliotic region might be due to a muscular strain in the paraspinal muscles, which is quite common while playing sports like badminton. Another possibility is an early neuro radiculopathy, occurring due to a pinched nerve in one of the intervertebral discs in the affected region. I would suggest you take antispasmodic muscle relaxants like Chlorzoxazone or Thiocolchicoside along with analgesics or anti-inflammatory tablets. Methylcobalamin, Folic acid tablets will alleviate neuropathic pain. Local analgesic sprays or gels followed by hot fomentation will be helpful.

Avoid bending forward or lifting heavy weight at least for a week. It is better to avoid playing badminton until you become perfectly alright. If you are not getting cured, get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the affected spine done and consult an orthopedic neurosurgeon.

For more information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist

My hard area of scoliosis is lightly loose on a particular area. Suddenly, the pain gets raised, when I stretch my hands too much, and today the pain is reduced. The other major problem I am facing is leg trembling. I suddenly get leg shaking on my right leg and then it spreads to the left leg when I get tensed, due to anxiety. What can be done to get recovered from leg trembling? What is the cause for it? Can this be due to weak legs?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

#

Leg trembling can occur due to anxiety and apprehension. If it is due to weakness, then the trembling will remain forever. So, I do not think it is due to weakness in the legs alone. Weak legs may aggravate the trembling. The loosened hard part of scoliosis is due to internal soft tissue swelling which is due to inflammation of the muscles.

What can be done to prevent trembling due to anxiety? Could you please help me?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

#

Trembling due to anxiety can be controlled well by meditation and yoga.

Can knee arthroscopy cause scoliosis and pain?

Query: Hello doctor,I have mild scoliosis convex to the left and was wondering if a left knee arthroscopy can be the cause of my posture and/or pain issues. For example, sitting, standing. Also, having scoliosis, would that cause a blood clot (pulmonary embolism) after this surgery? With being a severe ast...  Read Full »

Can scoliosis get corrected through surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I have scoliosis from my 15 years of age. Now, I am 36 years old. I am a very active teacher and mom. The pain medicines are not helping me now and I have started to limp and lean. Can it get corrected through surgery?  Read Full »

What could be causing low back pain for the past one month?

Query: Hello doctor,I am facing low back pain from the last one month. I have attached my MRI report.  Read Full »

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now