Q. Should we consult a hematologist for hemoglobin level?

My mother is 70-years-old, and for the last 15 days, she has had health issues. She has anemia with Hb - 8 gm/dL ; when consulted with a physician, he suggested consulting a hematologist. Please help.

#

Following is my opinion on your asked question. It could be a case of hemolytic anemia. In hemolytic anemia, red blood cell (RBC) destruction is present, and so the life span of RBC is reduced. I suspect hemolytic anemia due to high ferritin shown in report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) and the presence of polychromatic red blood cells. There are many causes of hemolytic anemia. However, your HPLC (High-performance liquid chromatography) shows elevated HbF (fetal hemoglobin), so further DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) analysis for hemoglobinopathy can be done. Lymphocytes can be elevated due to viral infection probably. Further investigation is needed in the form of USG (ultrasonography) of abdomen, molecular study for hemoglobinopathy, DCT (direct Coombs test), etc. I suggest you visit a nearby hematologist for your physical examination and, accordingly, further management. You can discuss all these with your treating doctor. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best regards.

Thank you for the reply.

Usg has been done. Also, she had a liver hematoma. The reports are attached.

#

Welcome back to the icliniq.com.

Following is my opinion on the questions you asked. In the attached report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), USG shows gall bladder calculi. Hemolytic anemia frequently presents with gall stones. So, your gall stones are due to hemolysis probably. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best regards.

|