Q. My hair fall increases when my MCV values are reduced. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I am a female. I had my CBC done, and my WBC is 11600, neutrophils at 7800, RBC count at 6.20, MCV is 79, MCH 24.2, MCHC at 30.9 with P-LCC at 110. My Hb is 15. Are the values normal? What could I do to bring them in the normal range? Also a week ago, I went for blood donation, and I fainted after 15 minutes of giving blood.

Moreover, I have done my CBC many times, and I have noticed that when my MCV values are more than 82, my hair fall is normal. But as soon as it starts reducing, my hair fall becomes very bad. Please help and tell me how I can bring the MCV and MCH values in normal ranges.

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

Your hemoglobin value, MCH, and MCV values are borderline and not reduce to a level where any treatment is needed. So your MCV and MCH values are not matter of worry. Do not worry about that. Your total WBC count and neutrophils are high. But any inflammation in body also can increased this value slightly. It is not raised to level where antibiotic needed. However if you have any clinical complaint like fever, gastric pain, burning micturition etc., than mention it to guide you further.

The elevated red blood cells could be due to dehydration. For that, you need to drink lots of water. If after a few days, your hemoglobin increasing along with red blood cells count than polycythemia should be ruled out. You need to investigate with serum EPO estimation, echocardiography, chest X-ray, and JAK2 mutation study to rule out all possible causes of polycythemia.

The hair fall and MCV does not correlate until your hemoglobin level is low. The hair fall can be increased in stress, chronic infection, and hormone-induced. The fainting after blood donation is due to vagal stimulation and can occur in much first-time donor patient. Attach all your reports if done for further discussion. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

| 

Why do I have hair fall after surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Last year, I noticed hair fall. Then, I had a surgery for appendix and post surgery my hair fall increased severely. I have checked vitamin D, B12 and ferritin levels. Everything is normal. Since, I am a vegetarian my doctor put me on some multivitamin tablets. I am also taking biotin tab...  Read Full »

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full »

Had a routine check-up and a few of my hematological paarameters are abnormal. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Recent health check (which I do it by myself routinely and I do not have any diabetes, BP or any other disorder), I found abnormal values of the following hematological parameters, Hb- just normal, RBC- low, MCHC- low, MCV- high (lab has marked all the last three items under bold). Li...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now