Q. What is the treatment for inguinal lymphadenopathy?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Oct 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I am a 55 year old male. I am suffering from inguinal lymphadenopathy. 2 years ago I have this on right side and now on left side. There is a square shallow knot present on the right side now. I have stiffness and rigidity especially in the left arm and occasional limited movements. Also I have discomfort in my legs and inguinal region. On ultrasound it was observed lipomatosis of inguinal lymphs. I have painful point in inguinal region, only if I press. I have noticeable weakness, but no weight loss. Occasionally I feel very low energy and could not maintain erection. I feel numbness in the shoulder or finger when wake from sleep. I have low sedimentation rate. There is no abnormal blood and urine finding. I had blood test and it is negative for all infectious diseases such as Lyme, cat scratch, AIDS, etc. Please help with some suggestion. Thank you.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I assure you not to worry as all things may get settled with proper care and follow-up.

1. Inguinal lymph nodes usually get prominent due to some infection (that you say have been ruled out) or some primary pathology of the nodes themselves.

2. The knots you are talking about also warrants to rule out if that is a vein pathology or lymph nodes can be benign or cancerous changes. Biopsy of the nodes is mandatory especially when there we see changes on ultrasound.

3. Weakness can be due to hemoglobin or red blood cell deficiency. Other causes of weakness may be hypothyroidism or fluid and electrolyte imbalances.

4. Your low sedimentation rate may be due to red blood cell, white blood cell changes and protein abnormality. Sickle cell disease also may cause it. But clinical correlation is the key and for that your physician needs to go for physical examination and if suspicion arises, he may refer you to hematologist.

5. Pain in the lymphatic region can be due to lymph nodes being pressed on or it is possibly from lipomatous changes.

6. I also prefer you to get a detailed heart evaluation from cardiologist as weakness, shoulder and arm issues warrant that too. This kind of symptoms also needs screening for hypertension and diabetes mellitus. Your physician can help you for that too.

7. If you have got tested the above in past 8 weeks, you may upload the reports here for my review and diagnosis. If more than 8 weeks old, please go for repeat fresh tests.

Biopsy and histopathology of the lymph nodes.

Can be decided on investigations and diagnosis.

Revert back with the investigation reports to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Does biopsy on a pregnant woman result in any complication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation and concern. You have to undergo colposcopy and if necessary biopsy too. It can be done during pregnancy and the only problem may happen is mild bleeding, which can be managed. If the lesion is mild, then it can be followed up. Moderate to ...  Read Full

Hypertension - How Aware Are You?

Article Overview: This simple quiz tests your knowledge and teaches you hypertension facts. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Please check the answer key and get to know how much you know about hypertension based on your score. 0-3: You need to learn more 3-6: A little more knowledge is good for health > 6: Keep updating yourself Question 1: Hypertensive patients should avoid exercise a) True b) False Answer:...  Read Article