Lymphatic Problem

What can be the reason for lower leg swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a healthy and active 17 year old female. I have swelling in my right calf or lower leg when sitting. There is no foot swelling. The swelling is present in the calf and it goes away within an hour if I move around. I do have night sweats. I get easily bruised, feel constantly cold and...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reason for swelling is either venous or lymphatic. I guess you have undergone venous Doppler for deep vein thrombosis and it was normal. The next thing left is a lymphatic cause, so you need lymphoscintigraphy and thyroid test done. Also, restrict salt intake. You hav...  Read Full »

My legs are affected by lymphangitis. What is the treatment for it?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 43-year-old male. Born with meningomyelocele and operated before I was 1. Operated for the clubbed foot at one and half years in. I can walk with elbow crutches. 17 years before bladder augmentation operation with appendicular vesicostomy surgery was done for urinary incontinence...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Dawre

Plastic Surgeon, Cosmetologist, General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your foot looks in bad state (attachment removed to protect patient identity) chronic lymphedema with skin changes. As this is a persistent problem, so there is no single treatment. There are lots of options to improve your leg condition, 1. Manual lymphatic drain...  Read Full »

After mastectomy, why is there tightness around the arm?

Query: Hi doctor,Before seven months, I had a mastectomy. During which, I had my lymph nodes taken out of my armpit. I had exercises to do, which helped ease the tightness in my arm. Only in the last two weeks or so, I have noticed a tightness in my hand on the same side of the operation. It feels a bit ...  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Specialist, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is most probably lymphedema. It occurs as your lymph nodes are taken out, which helps in the drainage of lymph. Are you doing your exercises regularly? This can be prevented by proper exercises that your doctor must have told you. Keep your arm at a height above he...  Read Full »