Q. Please suggest me the cure for lymphangitis in my leg.

Dr. Sandeep Dawre

I am a 43-year-old male. Born with meningomyelocele and operated before I was 1. Operated for the clubbed foot at one and half years in. I can walk with elbow crutches. 17 years before bladder augmentation operation with appendicular vesicostomy surgery was done for urinary incontinence. But during the surgery, only bladder augmentation surgery was done and left with a suprapubic catheter, and appendicular vesicostomy was not done. Due to lumbar puncture for giving spinal analgesia, I lost sensation below the knee in both my legs.

Due to the continuous loss of sensation after the operation, I developed severe wound and was treated with intravenous antibiotics. My right leg was amputated below the knee before six years. After the surgery, my left leg was affected by lymphangitis. Three years before due to long term retention of the suprapubic catheter, a two huge bladder stone of 5 cm and a small 3 cm was operated. Due to loss of spinal puncture, I am suffering from parenthesis till date. The photos of my leg are attached here along with the lymphoscintigraphy test report which shows a block in lymphatic vessels. Please let me know what treatment can be given to cure my problem and which doctor I should consult for my surgery.

#

Your foot looks in bad state (attachment removed to protect patient identity) chronic lymphedema with skin changes. As this is a persistent problem, so there is no single treatment. There are lots of options to improve your leg condition,

1. Manual lymphatic drainage.

2. Complex decongestive therapy.

3. Surgery.

4. Limb elevation.

5. Pressure garments.

This you have to maintain lifelong. All the procedure has its pros and cons with varying degrees of success, and it may not match your expectation. You need to visit plastic surgeons and discussed with its detail.

| 

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Plastic Surgeon Now