Q. Please suggest me the cure for lymphangitis in my leg.

Answered by
Dr. Sandeep Dawre
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 43-year-old male. Born with meningomyelocele and operated before I was 1. Operated for the clubbed foot at one and half years in. I can walk with elbow crutches. 17 years before bladder augmentation operation with appendicular vesicostomy surgery was done for urinary incontinence. But during the surgery, only bladder augmentation surgery was done and left with a suprapubic catheter, and appendicular vesicostomy was not done. Due to lumbar puncture for giving spinal analgesia, I lost sensation below the knee in both my legs.

Due to the continuous loss of sensation after the operation, I developed severe wound and was treated with intravenous antibiotics. My right leg was amputated below the knee before six years. After the surgery, my left leg was affected by lymphangitis. Three years before due to long term retention of the suprapubic catheter, a two huge bladder stone of 5 cm and a small 3 cm was operated. Due to loss of spinal puncture, I am suffering from parenthesis till date. The photos of my leg are attached here along with the lymphoscintigraphy test report which shows a block in lymphatic vessels. Please let me know what treatment can be given to cure my problem and which doctor I should consult for my surgery.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your foot looks in bad state (attachment removed to protect patient identity) chronic lymphedema with skin changes. As this is a persistent problem, so there is no single treatment. There are lots of options to improve your leg condition,

1. Manual lymphatic drainage.

2. Complex decongestive therapy.

3. Surgery.

4. Limb elevation.

5. Pressure garments.

This you have to maintain lifelong. All the procedure has its pros and cons with varying degrees of success, and it may not match your expectation. You need to visit plastic surgeons and discussed with its detail.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Plastic Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.