Mastectomy

Is it necessary to remove the entire breast in case of cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law got operated for breast lump at before 15 days. We sent that lump to the clinic for further test and found that the lump has cancer cells. Before 13 years, she was operated for the same reason in the same breast, but that time it was a normal lump. Now, we did PET CT scan...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I could not find hormone status and HER2 report. Is it done and awaited? The decision of chemotherapy is greatly influenced by those reports. Moreover, the margin seems to be positive and this may need a revision surgery. The pathologist and surgeon needs to discuss. R...  Read Full »

My biopsy report showed granulomatous mastitis. Was the biopsy specimen autolyzed?

Query: Hi doctor, A wide excision was done last year, and the report showed granulomatous mastitis. How can autolyzed tissue alter the report of biopsy? What do you mean by autolysis? What if the specimen is autolyzed? What would you do?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Autolysis means self-digestion of tissue by our own enzymes. To prevent autolysis, the specimen should be transferred to 10 % buffered formalin immediately after tissue removal by a surgeon.¬†Formalin fixes the tissue and prevents autolysis, so that tissue preserved in the¬...  Read Full »

How can we treat a tumor in breast?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a few months, my mother-in-law has got a tumor in her left breast. There is no pain. It had started growing recently in the last four to six weeks, and we consulted oncologists. The results of various tests are out. I wanted to get a second opinion. I have attached reports to you ...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the query. But before going ahead with treatment decisions, I need to know a few details: Any comorbidities like diabetes, hypertension, and renal problem? How is her general condition, is she able to carry out her daily activities? What is her ...  Read Full »

After mastectomy, why is there tightness around the arm?

Query: Hi doctor,Before seven months, I had a mastectomy.¬†During which,¬†I had my lymph nodes taken out of my armpit. I had exercises to do, which helped ease the tightness in my arm. Only in the last two weeks or so, I have noticed a tightness in my hand on the same side of the operation. It feels a bit ...  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Specialist, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is most probably lymphedema. It occurs as your lymph nodes are taken out, which helps in the drainage of lymph. Are you doing your exercises regularly?¬†This can be prevented by proper exercises that your doctor must have told you. Keep your arm at a height above he...  Read Full »

My boobs are more prominent in my body. How to correct this?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 43 years old. I am suffering from many things related to my body. I have been most of my lifetime having man boobs. My boobs are not proportional to the ratio of the fat in my body. I used to go to gym to battle that. This helped in getting my chest in a more firm shape, but never sm...  Read Full »

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is mainly due to increased estrogen hormone and also can occur because of hormonal imbalance. This can be treated with medicines and if not treated, then very conservative operative procedures are there. But, I need a snapshot picture of the affected area before that...  Read Full »

Are there any chances for regrowth of my breasts?

Query: Hello doctor, I am undergoing the fifth cycle of chemotherapy for my left breast. For the past five months, I am undergoing this treatment. Prior to chemotherapy, I was taking ayurvedic medicine for the same problem. I took the medicine for about eight months, but it did not have any benefit. At¬†th...  Read Full »

Dr. Raghu

General Surgeon, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, I fear that you have metastatic breast cancer. Usually, the surgery is done after four cycles of chemotherapy for locally advanced breast cancer. As you have undergone five cycles, you must be on palliative chemotherapy to control the disease. Usu...  Read Full »

Do I need to get radiotherapy for breast cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,I had pure mucinous right breast cancer and had nipple sparing mastectomy. Do I need radiotherapy? My report showed 0/18 free lymph nodes, free margins, ER 8/8, PR 8/8, HER2 zero and KI67 8%.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For mucinous and strong hormone positive with no node positive, only adjuvant endocrine is more than enough. Please mention the size of your tumor. Revert back with the details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/int...  Read Full »

For breast cancer, should we do chemo first or surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and had a right mastectomy. She however did not have chemo or radiation. She has a little extra fat to the lateral area of the breast that after surgery it looked like a small third breast. Right over the old incision has de...  Read Full »

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Here are my suggestions: Assuming that you want to undergo full treatment, the best method would be to start chemo and radiotherapy. The cycles of chemotherapy will depend on the medicine chosen by your oncologist. This will reduce the tumor size. Then go ahead with th...  Read Full »