Q. Young patient is suffering from decreasing memory. Does it mean dementia?

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2020

I am an 18-year-old female who has for the past months been experiencing that my memory is degrading badly. I have always had a memory that was fair enough. I do have much stress and I do have social anxiety. I do not sleep that well, but that was never a problem before. I sleep around, 6-7 hours on school week. And 9+ hours on a holiday. I do take some medications for my ADHD and I am aware there are some side effects to that medicine. I could not even remember, a friend's name that I recently met, for some split seconds. Then after some thinking, I could finally remember it. I can remember certain situations that were very important. I could remember something from 5 years ago but not 2 weeks ago. And I do feel like, my memory gets better after I eat food. But it feels like it is getting worse as time passes. I did as a child had to do mind memory games at school, but I felt like I could still remember basic information or situations that happened some days prior. But now, I cannot even remember what I did 3 days ago? Is there something wrong with me? I am showing early signs of dementia? Or I am just overreacting?

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib

Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

I appreciate that you approached for counseling. I am not sure whether you are diagnosed with ADHD or not. Also please do mention medicines you are taking. Based on given information, it seems that you are experiencing attention problems due to stressful events and preoccupations in your daily work. Also, lack of quality sleep may effect concentration that leads to recalling problems.

You need thorough assessment for that. Apparently it is related to anxiousness and stress factors. Dementia occurs in later age of life and you are too young for that. You might need help for anxiety management and stress management. Also, if you are diagnosed with ADHD then another detailed assessment is required.

|