Q. Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

Dr. Akanksha Sharma
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2019

I have a stiffness of neck and pain which continues to the back further. This often happens when a stressful situation arises, which also raises my BP. Worries related to health and other life concerns keep bothering me. Please suggest.

#

From your symptoms, it seems like fibromyalgia with anxiety.

Whenever we are anxious, our autonomic nervous system plays a role, and hence increases the blood flow to various organs by pumping more blood at higher rates, and thus heartbeats can be felt by us.

Also, when we are subjected to constant stress, those muscles become stiff. And thus, due to constant tension in them, they hurt after some time because of lactic acid accumulation.

Your BP (blood pressure) is also because of stress and not medical hypertension.

I would like to know more about your symptoms.

1. Is there any sadness of mood, or increased irritability over small issues?
  2. Are there sleep disturbances?
  3. Any trouble in your sexual life, if any?

Let me know about the details so that I can help you further. Take care.

Revert with more information to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|