Q. Stress-a barrier for brain development,is that true?

Dr. Shubham Mehta
Published on Oct 08, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 01, 2019

I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

Great amount of stress in children does affect brain development. As the brain develops till the age of 18 years, stress can affect the development.

Stress can, in general, affect the functioning of the body, hormonal balance, and immunity levels as well. If the stress persists beyond the child's tolerance, the effect can be long-lasting or permanent.

However, if the child is relieved from stress, he can show a tremendous spurt in development. Some ways to help children under stress would be,

1. Play therapy by a trained child psychologist.
  2. Parenting skills and education.
  3. Not keeping undue expectations from children.

What Are the Alternatives to Wearing Glasses?

Article Overview: Have you been diagnosed with refractive error, which needs you to wear glasses? To known ways to correct this refractive error without glasses, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

So, you have been told to wear glasses, but you do not want to. What are the options available to you now? This article will try to give you an overview of the latest options you have now. The discussion also includes basic suggestions on how to choose the options that are best suited for each indiv...  Read Article

Top Five Brain Storming Foods for Children

Article Overview: Good nutrition is very important, especially when it comes to improving the intellectual capacity of your kid. Foods which are rich in omega three fatty acids can help increase the nervous stimulation activity of your child and improve memory and retaining power which is especially needed by children to cope with academics. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Paediatrician

Following are some of the top five brain foods for children. Nuts And Seeds Nuts are a rich source of vitamin E and thiamine which are known to boost memory power in children and prevent cognitive decline. Include a variety of nuts in your kid’s diet like almonds, dates, walnuts, and pista...  Read Article

Will seizures slow my daughter's growth and development?

Query: Hello doctor, My 12 year daughter has been suffering from seizures since birth. The cause of the seizure was not known, that is, idiopathic. She is now taking Valparin 500 Chrono and Levipil 750 both two times daily. Last seizure occurred four years ago. Developments are slow although attained puber...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that as your daughter has been suffering from seizures since birth, it is very likely that her brain has been damaged during birth (from hypoxia) or she has any specific genetic syndrome, associated to seizures. Both these...  Read Full