Q. Stress-a barrier for brain development,is that true?

Dr. Shubham Mehta
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 01, 2019

I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?

#

Great amount of stress in children does affect brain development. As the brain develops till the age of 18 years, stress can affect the development.

Stress can, in general, affect the functioning of the body, hormonal balance, and immunity levels as well. If the stress persists beyond the child's tolerance, the effect can be long-lasting or permanent.

However, if the child is relieved from stress, he can show a tremendous spurt in development. Some ways to help children under stress would be,

1. Play therapy by a trained child psychologist.
  2. Parenting skills and education.
  3. Not keeping undue expectations from children.

|