Q. I am bleeding after using adult toy. Why?

I am 21 years old, I take Iron supplements for low iron and low ferritin levels and was on contraception pill for six years since four months back. I used a sex toy (dildo) this morning which is slightly bigger than my partner. After, which I noticed a bit of blood on the toy and a small amount came out afterward. I did not feel any pain during or after, I noticed it felt deeper than usual and a stretching sensation.

Four hours later I noticed more blood coming out, I have continued to bleed what looks like my period. I have no other symptoms but more blood has come out, no mucous or clots either. I feel well. Could it be coincidental that my period has come back or could I have injured myself? What are the signs of injury and at what point should I get checked out?

By the way of background, I have been waiting for my period since last year. I stopped taking the pill thinking my period would come but it never did. I had irregular periods prior to taking the pill (hence why I got on the pill). My periods were always relatively heavy. I also have had a number of ovarian cysts over the last two to three years which have caused me pain previously. I am not polycystic and have not undergone any treatment but for the removal of ovarian cysts three years back due to torsion.

#

As your history suggests that you experienced bleeding post insertion and usage of sex toy (dildo). There are two ways it can cause injury in women - one by frictional lesions experienced as stretching and vaginal wall tears leading to bleeding (reddish spotting to heavy) or presence of cervicitis or cervical erosions which can bleed after the act of insertion or intercourse (often darkish brown discharge to reddish spotting). This calls for a per speculum examination to rule out either -vaginal mucosal injury or cervicitis.

Now that you have been amenorrhoeic (absence of mensuration) since last four months, there is all likelihood that post sexual act, due to orgasm and increased endorphins, your menses may have been initiated and have increased inflow in next few days without any discomfort. The chances of bleeding being menses and heavy is high considering there is no pain or fever and that you did not have your menses for the last four months.

You should get an ultrasound pelvis done to check for endometrial blood collection which shall confirm menses and also a per speculum exam which shall rule out any cervicitis or vaginal mucous lesions. I hope I have answered your query in detail, Avoid use of sex toy till cause is ascertained and bleeding stops. Please consult your gynecologist.

|