HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologymenstrual irregularityI have not had regular periods since I am back home for three months. Earlier it was regular. Why?

What could cause irregular periods in teens?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 7, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 12, 2023

Patient's Query

I have not had regular periods since the time I came home three months back. Earlier when I was in school, I had regular periods. But since I am at home, I am not having periods. Kindly suggest.

Answered by Dr. Balakrishnan R

I do not think at the age of 16 years, you need to worry about periods. Your hormonal axis between the brain or pituitary gland and ovary is still not mature. Only by 19 to 21 years this axis will mature and our periods will be regular. Till then they may or may not be regular.

Other possibilities in your case could be

1. A sudden change in the surroundings, like the stay at school, where you may be more comfortable or getting used to.

2. Any sudden physical or mental stress, anxiety, depression, or happiness.

3. Use of any recent hormones to alter periods.

4. You seem to be at a low health status. Do not overeat and put on weight, but have lots of nutritious food- fruits, vegetables, no red meat, and sprouts.

I suggest you get your thyroid and prolactin hormone evaluation done. Just wait for a few more months and periods may regularize. If not regularized even after six months, you will need cyclical use of hormones to regularize hormonal balance. I hope you find this helpful. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Balakrishnan R
Dr. Balakrishnan R

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy