Methotrexate

Can UCTD and MCTD occur together?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently struggling with a flare that is just not getting better. My symptoms started three years ago. At that time my ANA was high positive, lupus anticoagulant positive, but nothing else specific. My symptoms are joint pain, swelling, severe fatigue, severe hand swelling, sev...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I believe your diagnosis is Overlap syndrome, scleroderma with myositis overlap. Your symptoms do not fit into one connective tissue disease. It is probably overlap of two diseases going on. Lupus I will not be too sure, as you do not specify symptoms pertaining to i...  Read Full »

How long will a joint swelling take to cause permanent joint damage in psoriatic polyarthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, Patient is 10 years old with psoriasis polyarthritis. Received Methotrexate, and Enbrel for three years. As in medical remission, it was decided ten months ago to stop Methotrexate and continue only with Enbrel. Three months later started having infections and paradoxical reaction to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history. Well, it seems like you developed a reaction to Enbrel which is quite common as it does flare psoriasis in some patients. Pertaining to your queries: Since you have mentioned only one ankle is swollen, it is not justified taking su...  Read Full »

Why is there sudden worsening of rheumatoid arthritis even on medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old and diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when I was 23. Since then I have been on 15 mg of Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine. Since I have been on medication, I hardly have no symptoms, but recently arthritis seems to be flaring up for three weeks now. I have pain i...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, it is a possibility that Methotrexate dose is not sufficient enough to stop the disease. 15 mg is the dose we use for starting and we normally go higher up. In my experience, 15 mg normally proves inefficient in the long run. But since your disease is flarin...  Read Full »

Kindly comment on my psoriasis prescription.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from psoriasis in my palm. When I was 12 years old, I had this disease for the first time. After taking some medicines it disappeared. But, it used to come on and off. In the past one year, I have faced this problem quite often. In between, I had homeopathy. As it ca...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your treatment is right. But, do not take Folitrax for long duration (Methotrexate) as it can adversely affect your liver and immunity. Also, if it is limited to palm and soles, then there is no need to take it. Because, Folitrax is meant for use in severe psori...  Read Full »

Kindly interpret my chest x-ray.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old male. For mild chest pain, I have got my chest x-ray PA view done as suggested by my rheumatologist. My doctor said that x-ray report shows changes of chronic bronchitis in both lungs more in lower zones and old fibrotic scarring is seen in left apex. I am suffering fro...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. You are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and the findings of your chest x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) can be due to the following reasons: Smoking. Allergy. Rheumatoid related interstitial lung disease (ILD)...  Read Full »

My RNP is positive and ANA is negative. What is the final diagnosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with RNP positive. I have dry eyes problem. Is RNP positive alone considered as RA? My ANA was negative and all other things negative. My eosinophils are 8.5% in my blood, and I am always suffering from col. I am on HCQS 200 and Defza 6 mg. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may be suffering from mixed connective tissue disorder. But do not worry you may have to take above medications along with that you may take tablet Banocide forte 100 mg twice daily for three weeks. Avoid using plastic. Take plenty of fruits with vegetables. Use ...  Read Full »

How much time does Methotrexate take to lower hCG level in ectopic pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a query on ectopic pregnancy. My wife is having one and her beta hCG levels were 125.25 ml after taking her first shot of Methotrexate. Yesterday, she got her second shot and her beta hCG levels today were 141. I wanted to know how much time Methotrexate takes to low down those...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you had taken the Methotrexate dose under supervision only. The usual protocol is to check for a repeat beta hCG on the fourth day of taking Methotrexate. Early testing may cause undue anxiety and panic as it takes some time for the levels to come down. Moreov...  Read Full »

Do you think that a skin test is enough to diagnose scleroderma?

Query: Hi doctor, I traveled to a different country to get more in depth testing of multiple health problems. I was diagnosed with the start of scleroderma, because of my gastrointestinal symptoms, idiopathic angioedema, thickened skin, weird blood vessels (tiny red tree-like veins), family history of scle...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, in my opinion your case could be suggestive of scleroderma (autoimmune disorder - hardening of skin). However, I want to know the pattern of sclerosis. For scleroderma, it should start from hand and reach main trunk. Also, revert back with details of GI symptoms. F...  Read Full »

I got a PFT done. Kindly check and guide me if the values are fine.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a signal arthritis. Rib cage hurts when I breathe. I had a clear COPD four years back and normal PFT. I stopped smoking ten years ago. I am a swimmer and have breathing problem. I also have suspected connective tissue disease. I am currently taking Humira, Methotrexate and daily I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your pulmonary function test (PFT) values are totally fine. Any value above 80% of predicted value is considered as normal. So, your values are too good. For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmon...  Read Full »

I have pain due to RA in spite of taking medicines. Please tell me what I can do.

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with RA two years back and I am taking treatment for the same. My left knee is affected badly and the swelling is not coming down. Initially, I was not able to walk, but now I can walk slowly but cannot climb the staircase or fold my left leg completely. Recently I am...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your rheumatoid arthritis is not controlled which is evident from your high ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) of 60. The reason for this is that you are not adequate...  Read Full »