Q. Is it serious to have a low serum albumin level in multiple myeloma patient?

My mother is a multiple myeloma patient. First relapse 10 months ago. Now her serum albumin is 27 which is low. Is it alarming? She is physically fit and can work sometimes, but fatigue. Her upper side legs are getting a bit fat. She is having Lenalid now. I would appreciate your suggestion.

#

Your serum albumin level is low according to the mentioned history. So, it can be considered alarming. If serum albumin is less then 3.5 gm/dl, then it can be a stage 2 category of multiple myeloma according to the international staging system. Prognosis is intermediate in that stage, meaning not an excellent prognosis.

You are advisable to investigate with serum calcium estimation, full CBC (complete blood count), serum beta 2 microglobulin report and urine light chain excretion study as well to do a further workup. You can consult your hematologist for examination and get above investigation done after discussion with the hematologist.

|