Q. Is it serious to have a low serum albumin level in multiple myeloma patient?

Published on Oct 09, 2018

My mother is a multiple myeloma patient. First relapse 10 months ago. Now her serum albumin is 27 which is low. Is it alarming? She is physically fit and can work sometimes, but fatigue. Her upper side legs are getting a bit fat. She is having Lenalid now. I would appreciate your suggestion.

Hematology Pathology
#

Your serum albumin level is low according to the mentioned history. So, it can be considered alarming. If serum albumin is less then 3.5 gm/dl, then it can be a stage 2 category of multiple myeloma according to the international staging system. Prognosis is intermediate in that stage, meaning not an excellent prognosis.

You are advisable to investigate with serum calcium estimation, full CBC (complete blood count), serum beta 2 microglobulin report and urine light chain excretion study as well to do a further workup. You can consult your hematologist for examination and get above investigation done after discussion with the hematologist.

Do birth control pills cause nephrotic syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has been taking birth control pills for five months, since she gave birth. About two months ago, she started having some swelling in her feet and legs. She waited to see if it would go away, but it did not. Her doctor did some tests and found protein in the urine, so she sent ...  Read Full »

After analysis of pleural effusion fluid, diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer.

Query: Dear Doctor, After analysis of pleural effusion fluid, my mother has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer - CUP, poorly differentiated carcinoma. She has exhibited lower lobe fibrosis for at least three years, has normal kidney lab work at this time, previous breast carcinoma ductal in situ with remov...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now