Multiple Myeloma

How to cure my skin rashes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have rashes similar to the rash of SLE, swollen, painful and redness around the eyes, severe fatigue and muscle weakness. These symptoms occurred a few months back after I had an intestinal infection. The doctors suspected it to be dermatolysis too, thus having a skin biopsy done tomorr...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reports suggest that you are probably having an autoimmune disease. For an exact diagnosis, ANA (antinuclear antibody) global or ANA profile test report and skin or muscle biopsy would be required to avoid any controversies in the future. I also need to know the follo...  Read Full »

I have chest cold with weight loss, nausea, and dry heaves. Is it multiple myeloma?

Query: Hi doctor, My symptoms include a chest cold for approximately one month, 12 pound weight loss, nausea, dry heaves. Excessive bowel movements. Shortness of breath. Muscle aches. Left side rib pain. Fatigue. I had normal labs except mildly elevated alkaline phosphate. My doctor is now running a ALP i...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reviewing your complaints and your blood investigation (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can draw the following conclusions: 1. It is highly unlikely that you have multiple myeloma, as your globulins (in blood report) are normal. Though it is a...  Read Full »

Why do my temples get swollen when I chew hard food?

Query: Hi doctor, I get a swelling on the temple after chewing on hard food, for example, steak or candy. The swelling goes down after I stop eating, but the area feels numb for a long time after that. What can cause this? I have chronic urticaria and MGUS.   Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed your health query and will answer your concerns. The issues you mentioned are related to mastication (chewing). It is a process where you have to put a lot of energy, and the muscles of mastication are widely used. It seems there is some ne...  Read Full »

Does my CBC history and family history of multiple myeloma indicate I am at risk?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old male. I am attaching pictures of my seven year CBC history. Here is what happened this year. On my annual physical 11 months back, my WBC was low. Three months back, my GP checked it again. WBC came back in range but platelets were low. Over seven years, platelets ha...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CBC does not suggest multiple myeloma (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In the case of multiple myeloma, anemia can be there and clinical symptoms like a constant headache, kidney system related symptoms, etc., can be present. But as your father ...  Read Full »

Will allogeneic transplantation help multiple myeloma?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, my mother is diagnosed with multiple myeloma. She had a fast progression. Within a year, the plasmacytoma has progressed to MGUS which resulted in multiple myeloma with severe bone involvement. She got a heart attack at the onset of multiple myeloma. I know that deletion of 17p...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The advantage of allogeneic stem cell transplant is that the donor stem cells make their own immune cells. They help to destroy the cancer cells that remain after high-dose treatment. It is called as a graft-versus-cancer effect. Autologous stem cell transplant does not...  Read Full »

Can paraproteins fluctuate without treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, Can paraproteins fluctuate (drop) without treatment?  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Yes, the levels can vary. In fact the levels always fluctuate and hence never used as a marker of treatment response. For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medi...  Read Full »

Serum albumin level is low in multiple myeloma patient. Is it alarming?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is a multiple myeloma patient. First relapse 10 months ago. Now her serum albumin is 27 which is low. Is it alarming? She is physically fit and can work sometimes, but fatigue. Her upper side legs are getting a bit fat. She is having Lenalid now. I would appreciate your sugg...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your serum albumin level is low according to the mentioned history. So, it can be considered alarming. If serum albumin is less then 3.5 gm/dl, then it can be a stage 2 category of multiple myeloma according to the international staging system. Prognosis is intermedi...  Read Full »

My blood protein levels are in higher range. Is that a precursor of any problem?

Query: Hi doctor, For around seven years, my blood protein levels range from 8 to 8.6. The average of all is 8.29 and nothing showed up in urine. Is this a precursor to something? When I have asked doctors, they all said that it was in guidelines and it is intermittent.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Yes, your doctor is right. Variation in protein levels is always present. Only, if the globulin levels are too high, then it is worrisome. If the globulin levels are increasing over time, then you need to be worried. If not, ...  Read Full »

My WBC is low for the past few years. Can this mean multiple myeloma?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past few years during my routine physical my WBC has been low. (2700-3700) Neutrophils have run a little low also. No other issues, completely healthy. My dad was diagnosed with multiple myeloma a few years ago but doing well. I have read about some family history with this di...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history provided, your main concern is regarding fear of multiple myeloma. In case of a multiple myeloma like malignancy, there is usually the presence of weakness, fatigue and bone pain. In multiple myeloma, osteolytic bone lesions occur and so bone...  Read Full »

My grandmother has a platelet count of 10,000. Will she be alright?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandmother is having a platelet count of 10,000. She is currently on her blood pressure medication. Of note, at the age of 52, she was operated for severe menstrual bleeding. However, there is no sign of cancer in our whole family. Today is her transfusion. Will she be alright? I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) apart from a punched out lesion on the skull. There seems to be no abnormality. Generally, a lytic lesion in the bones of an elderly person would raise the suspicion of multiple myeloma...  Read Full »