Multiple Myeloma

Whom should we consult for my mom's bone TB?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is a CKD patient and undergoes dialysis. For the past two months, she is having a back pain. On visiting an orthopedician, he suggested an MRI of dorsal spine, which shows D5-D6 eroded and the doctor is suspecting a bone TB. So, I am concerned about which doctor to approach. Shoul...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your confusion in today's world of information. I think the best option is to approach a spine surgeon, who can get an appropriate biopsy. Based on the biopsy, further specialist can be decided. Because, bone erosion could also be due to non-tuberculosis d...  Read Full »

Why do I have confusion and significant short-term memory loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a serum PEL IFE with a free light chain analysis. PEL and IFE were normal, but elevated kappa 39.86 mg/L and lambda 19 mg/L with the ratio of 2:1. The test was done due to persistent and worsening polyneuropathy. Currently, I am having confusion and significant short-term m...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. These reports need evaluation for the cause of multiple myeloma. However, I do not strongly suspect it based on these reports as a lot of the asymptomatic general population has an elevated kappa chain with no significance. Still, a bone marrow e...  Read Full »

How to cure my skin rashes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have rashes similar to the rash of SLE, swollen, painful and redness around the eyes, severe fatigue and muscle weakness. These symptoms occurred a few months back after I had an intestinal infection. The doctors suspected it to be dermatolysis too, thus having a skin biopsy done tomorr...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reports suggest that you are probably having an autoimmune disease. For an exact diagnosis, ANA (antinuclear antibody) global or ANA profile test report and skin or muscle biopsy would be required to avoid any controversies in the future. I also need to know the follo...  Read Full »

I have chest cold with weight loss, nausea, and dry heaves. Is it multiple myeloma?

Query: Hi doctor, My symptoms include a chest cold for approximately one month, 12 pound weight loss, nausea, dry heaves. Excessive bowel movements. Shortness of breath. Muscle aches. Left side rib pain. Fatigue. I had normal labs except mildly elevated alkaline phosphate. My doctor is now running a ALP i...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reviewing your complaints and your blood investigation (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can draw the following conclusions: 1. It is highly unlikely that you have multiple myeloma, as your globulins (in blood report) are normal. Though it is a...  Read Full »

Why do my temples get swollen when I chew hard food?

Query: Hi doctor, I get a swelling on the temple after chewing on hard food, for example, steak or candy. The swelling goes down after I stop eating, but the area feels numb for a long time after that. What can cause this? I have chronic urticaria and MGUS.   Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed your health query and will answer your concerns. The issues you mentioned are related to mastication (chewing). It is a process where you have to put a lot of energy, and the muscles of mastication are widely used. It seems there is some ne...  Read Full »

Does my CBC history and family history of multiple myeloma indicate I am at risk?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old male. I am attaching pictures of my seven year CBC history. Here is what happened this year. On my annual physical 11 months back, my WBC was low. Three months back, my GP checked it again. WBC came back in range but platelets were low. Over seven years, platelets ha...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CBC does not suggest multiple myeloma (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In the case of multiple myeloma, anemia can be there and clinical symptoms like a constant headache, kidney system related symptoms, etc., can be present. But as your father ...  Read Full »

Will allogeneic transplantation help multiple myeloma?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, my mother is diagnosed with multiple myeloma. She had a fast progression. Within a year, the plasmacytoma has progressed to MGUS which resulted in multiple myeloma with severe bone involvement. She got a heart attack at the onset of multiple myeloma. I know that deletion of 17p...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The advantage of allogeneic stem cell transplant is that the donor stem cells make their own immune cells. They help to destroy the cancer cells that remain after high-dose treatment. It is called as a graft-versus-cancer effect. Autologous stem cell transplant does not...  Read Full »

Can paraproteins fluctuate without treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, Can paraproteins fluctuate (drop) without treatment?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Yes, the levels can vary. In fact the levels always fluctuate and hence never used as a marker of treatment response. For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medi...  Read Full »

Serum albumin level is low in multiple myeloma patient. Is it alarming?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is a multiple myeloma patient. First relapse 10 months ago. Now her serum albumin is 27 which is low. Is it alarming? She is physically fit and can work sometimes, but fatigue. Her upper side legs are getting a bit fat. She is having Lenalid now. I would appreciate your sugg...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your serum albumin level is low according to the mentioned history. So, it can be considered alarming. If serum albumin is less then 3.5 gm/dl, then it can be a stage 2 category of multiple myeloma according to the international staging system. Prognosis is intermedi...  Read Full »

My blood protein levels are in higher range. Is that a precursor of any problem?

Query: Hi doctor, For around seven years, my blood protein levels range from 8 to 8.6. The average of all is 8.29 and nothing showed up in urine. Is this a precursor to something? When I have asked doctors, they all said that it was in guidelines and it is intermittent.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Yes, your doctor is right. Variation in protein levels is always present. Only, if the globulin levels are too high, then it is worrisome. If the globulin levels are increasing over time, then you need to be worried. If not, ...  Read Full »