Q. Is muscle strain the cause for pain behind the knee?

Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I have pain behind my knee that is there on and off. Recently, I had an MRI scan for the pain, which said "strain of the origin of the medial head of gastrocnemius." Last year, I had similar knee pain that was sharp and pulling in nature; however, it subsided within a week. I had used tablets Celecoxib and Norgesic Forte in the past for my knee pain. Presently I have had pain for three weeks that occurs randomly. How long can it take to get back to my usual activity? Also, will this kind of pain heal completely?

Kindly advise.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The cause of the pain can be a muscle strain that can take up to six weeks to heal. I suggest you apply an ice pack, do gentle stretches, and continue using anti-inflammatory tablets for pain relief.

Kindly revert in case of further questions.

|