Myelopathy

Why do I feel pins and needles in both legs?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a neck fusion a few years back. I like to understand more about my MRI. I am going to start Gabapentin for nerve issues soon and also I have Crohn's disease and Lyme. Currently experiencing pins and needles in both legs. I have seen a neurologist and going to see a few surgeons t...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Sorry to hear the pain and discomfort you are having and wish you a quick recovery. Please find my observations below. Your MRI scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) show that there are changes seen in t...  Read Full »

What is the prognosis of myelopathy associated with Hashimoto’s?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 59-year-old female who was diagnosed five years back with the rare I have not had an MRI scan or seen by a neurologist for a follow-up. Since I was diagnosed, I have not been given a prognosis of myelopathy associated with Hashimoto’s. I was paralyzed from the chest down ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your illness. You are likely suffering from Hashimoto's myelopathy based on your description. It is rare condition and only a handful of cases have been described worldwide. It is known to be very steroid responsive and there should be a remarkabl...  Read Full »

Can injury to cervical region cause irritation in the leg?

Query: Hello doctor, I got hit on the left side on cervical region almost two years from now. MRI does not show any injury or significant stenosis but the electromyography shows left moderate radiculopathy C5-C8 and recent results showed deterioration. Symptoms also still exist on left arm and trapezius b...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that as there are no signs of myelopathy or spinal canal compression on MRI, there is no reason to panic about myelopathy. The pain in this region is related to the nerve damage. Physiotherapy can help improve your situation. I...  Read Full »

Can balancing issue occur due to vestibular lesion or cervical myelopathy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old male. My weight is 96 kg and height is 184 cm. I have severe sleep apnea and minor CAD with hypertension. I am facing problems of imbalance and lightheadedness. This started some six months back. Then, I was diagnosed with an uncompensated vestibular lesion. After a wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the information you gave me, it looks like your imbalance is due to a condition called cervical myelopathy. The examination findings of your spine specialist also correlate with your diagnosis. This happens when there is undue pressure or compression of the spinal...  Read Full »

Can anxiety cause foot drop and twitches in the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female, and I developed foot drop five weeks ago, the foot was numb, and I could not dorsiflex it. But, now I can dorsiflex, and the steppage gait has disappeared unless I walk long distances. I have more power in the foot now, but it is still a lot weaker than the oth...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that your foot drop is improving in a five weeks period. The twitches that you are feeling may be due to anxiety also. If it was ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), the foot drop would be unlikely to improve. As it is improving, it is unlikely to be...  Read Full »

How can I rule out ALS?

Query: Hi doctor, About five weeks ago, I started feeling some weakness in my left leg. I have consulted my family doctor and a neurologist. All physical tests showed no actual weakness. There were no other clinical signs and the reflexes were also normal. There is no activity or movement that I cannot do....  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The various symptoms you have described are due to L5-S1 moderate broad left paracentral disc protrusion mildly distorted the anterior aspect of the thecal sac and abutting without displacing the traversing nerve roots. When a disc prolapses and compresses the spinal c...  Read Full »

Why do I have an increased signal intensity within the cervical cord?

Query: Hello doctor,I have increased signal intensity within the cervical cord at C2 and C4 levels. The cervical discs have degenerated with some loss of normal disc height and hydration. What does this mean? I also have multiple sclerosis. My current medications are Gilenya, Amitriptyline, Omeprazole, and...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know if you have performed any brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) study. These lesions in the cervical spine could be related to many possible causes. They could be MS (multiple sclerosis), cervical myelopathy, myelitis, or neuro infections, etc...  Read Full »

Can copper deficiency cause short-term memory loss and paresthesia of the face?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old female, and I have severe short-term memory loss (8/30 MMSE). I have paresthesia bilaterally on my face, which has spread from the upper part to around my mouth. I also have startle myoclonus and muscle stiffness. My walking speed has slowed, and the muscles in my...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Copper deficiency is a known cause for non-compressive myelopathy, which can explain your muscle stiffness, slowed walking, and clonus in legs. But startle myoclonus is a different thing. It might be a flexor spasm in legs, which someone interpreted as startle myoclonu...  Read Full »