Q. Experiencing pins and needles in both legs. What can be the cause?

Dr. Vivek Chail
Published on Jan 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 04, 2019

I had a neck fusion a few years back. I like to understand more about my MRI. I am going to start Gabapentin for nerve issues soon and also I have Crohn's disease and Lyme. Currently experiencing pins and needles in both legs. I have seen a neurologist and going to see a few surgeons this week. I would like to know, what you think about all this information? The neck is worse than the back at this point. Also, I want to know what my options are for fixing scar tissue? Thank you in advance.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

I have read through your query in detail. Sorry to hear the pain and discomfort you are having and wish you a quick recovery. Please find my observations below.

Your MRI scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) show that there are changes seen in the neck region of the spinal cord at the level of fusion surgery for which the term myelomalacia (softening of the spinal cord) and myelopathy (compression of the spinal cord) has been used.

The cervical spondylosis has probably increased from before. These changes make the neck changes a little worse than the lower back. There is significant pinching of nerve roots at C6 - C7 level on the right side and this becomes important because it affects your daily activities. There are changes in the spinal cord at this level which is a concern.

If you are right-handed and have to use the computer at work then this can be one of the reasons for the tingling and numbness. The lower back problem is mild and is of less concern when compared to the neck.

In conclusion, the visit to the neurosurgeon should be focused on reducing the nerve pinching in the neck C6 - C7 level and preventing any progressive changes in the spinal cord at that level.

I would be glad if you can share the CD so that I can have a look at your images. However, my observations will most likely be the same as mentioned above.

Thank you for providing these details. I am on the computer 10-15 hours a day typically because of my job. Certainly noticed more and more of the effects on my legs to the point it is affecting sleep. I am attaching the reports along with the CD for your reference. I am happy to see that you spent some time to review this and provided a report. I think about the next step to see a surgeon.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

I have seen through the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and confirm the findings.

It is important to share with you that the spinal cord in the neck region might be showing softening and this is the reason for your symptoms. There is an indication for you to discuss with the surgeon and get treated for it. The lower back problems are not disturbing and can be considered to be mild. However, clinical examination is required.

Can injury to cervical region cause irritation in the leg?

Query: Hello doctor, I got hit on the left side on cervical region almost two years from now. MRI does not show any injury or significant stenosis but the electromyography shows left moderate radiculopathy C5-C8 and recent results showed deterioration. Symptoms also still exist on left arm and trapezius b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that as there are no signs of myelopathy or spinal canal compression on MRI, there is no reason to panic about myelopathy. The pain in this region is related to the nerve damage. Physiotherapy can help improve your situation. I...  Read Full

I was suggested surgery for cervical spondylosis. Should I go for it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53 year old female. I am cervical spondylosis patient. After MRI report, the doctor suggested an operation. Should I go with the operation or not? MRI report: Spine with the screening of the whole spine: Cervical spine was studied with 3 mm thin slices in the axial and sagitt...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is persistent numbness in the hands in cervical radiculopathy, then surgery is indicated. As you have mentioned that you have significant numbness, and your MRI reports also suggest the same, you should consider getting a surgery done. Till then you can be ...  Read Full

Due to cervical spondylosis, will I have problem during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. For the past one year, I am suffering from heaviness of head and neck stiffness. Even though I am living my normal life, sometimes the heaviness of head becomes extreme. I feel it is spinning even at the slightest movement of neck and it is accompanied by bowel ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history and information given by you, my answers are as follows: It does not look like you have a gastrointestinal disorder. But, better is to get an ultrasonography of your abdomen and rule it out. In cervical spine you have only a small disc. So, ...  Read Full

Ask a Radiologist Now