Q. Can submerging the head in a creek cause Naegleria fowleri infection in my seven-year-old boy?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

My son is seven years old. He has been at camp all week. Today they played in the creek. He said he put his head in the water, and it immediately concerned me about Naegleria fowleri. I remember a girl dying from it on a rafting trip with her family a few years ago. My son said he pecked his head in the water like a chicken. But he did not completely submerge his head in the water. Just put his face in the water and pulled it out quickly like a chicken pecking for food. I am trying to decide if I am being crazy. I have tied my stomach in knots, worrying that he may die of some ameba that could have gone in his nose. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern. Does he show any symptoms like fever, swelling in lymph nodes, or night sweats? Have you noticed anything unusual after the incident?

Please reply to me with the above-asked questions so I can better guide you. I wish good health to your son. Thanks.

Thank you for the reply.

No symptoms; it just happened today. My wife thinks I am crazy. Please help.

#

Welcome baack to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern.

1) Is this the first time camping for him?

2) Or he used to go regularly?

3) Does he have any allergies?

4) Is he easily prone to viral infections?

Please reply to my above-asked questions so that I can guide you better.

Wishing good health to your son. Thanks.

Hi docttor,

Thank you for the reply.

He has played in creeks before and has been to various camps over the years. He has no allergies and no viral infections frequently. We all had Covid in five months back.

#

Ok, no need to worry much about any infection, especially Naegleria fowleri. The incident about that girl happened how many days back? Is it in the same creek?

Thank you for the reply.

Her incident happened about 20 miles away. It happened about 12 months ago. But it is just on my mind. Thank you so much for your help.

#

I can understand your concern. No need to worry at all. Nothing bad or any infection will happen to him. So do not worry about any infection. Do not overthink it. I hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. I wish good health to your son. Thanks.

|