Ncv

I have twitching of different muscles. Can I be sure it is not ALS?

Query: Hello doctor,The last week and a half every few minutes, I got a muscle twitch in random parts of my body. My left eye twitches more constantly than that. I have general anxiety and major health anxiety which I am wondering can play a role. I have no muscular weakness at all, and no atrophy fro...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Frequent muscle twitches without any muscle weakness or atrophy and normal reflexes can be due to anxiety. The other possibility can be benign fasciculation syndrome. But before labeling this, it is advisable to rule out other possible grave diseases. Let me ...  Read Full »

My 4-month-old daughter has very little movement in her legs. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is four months old. We observed that there was very little movement in her legs. We performed an EMG and an NCV along with vitamin D test. The report mentions generalized motor axonal polyneuropathy. I could only understand that there is an issue with her nerves in several...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is advisable to do a nerve biopsy along with an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the brain and spine and a detailed physical examination by a pediatric neurologist to come to a conclusion as to what we are dealing with. There are various different types of neurop...  Read Full »

Why do I feel weak and anemic even though my RBC count is high?

Query: Hello doctor, Please find the attachment of my blood report. I am concerned that I may be suffering from anemia. I have fatigue and weakness from many months. I also have a tingling feeling in my legs and hands.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are not having anemia as per the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your Hb level is within the limit. So, you do not require a treatment for anemia. You can have thalassemia minor or a similar condition in which the RBC (red blood cell) c...  Read Full »

What can be the cause of prolonged macrocytosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had macrocytosis for a long time. My last B12 and folate levels were high. I have symptoms of nervousness, snarkiness, light headedness, palpitations, and sometimes tingling in the hands and feet. It is making me crazy. My MCV is 104.9, MCH 35.6 and last TSH 2.18. I have con...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Macrocytosis can be present because of hypothyroidism, alcohol, liver disease, etc. Your TSH value is within the limit. So, I do not think a thyroid problem can be the cause. You can get the following tests to rule out liver and kidney problem: SGOT (serum glutamic oxa...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms normally seen in peroneal neuropathy?

Query: Hi doctor, I got peroneal neuropathy after bariatric surgery. I have lost 97 lbs in the last six months, and all of a sudden, I was diagnosed with peroneal neuropathy in my right leg. My right leg was numb from the knee down all through my toes, but now the numbness has subsided and only my big toe ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Foot drop and impaired sensation on the outer side of the leg below the knee is possible by common peroneal neuropathy. But same can also happen by the involvement of partial sciatic nerve involvement or lumbar plexus involvement or the involvement of roots coming...  Read Full »

Is it normal to feel numb after lymph node biopsy?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had an open lymph node biopsy with lymph node extraction. Since the moment I woke up from the general anesthesia, I realize that my trapezius muscle is not functional and my ear is numb. My doctor, who is a qualified ENT specialist, told me that it is unlikely to be an accesso...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The trapezius is supplied by accessory nerve, which also supplies sternocleidomastoid muscle. In the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your right trapezius fold is diminished compared to the left. Accessory never injury during surgical ...  Read Full »