Q. The pain in my hip radiates to the thigh and worsens at night. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 22-year-old female. My hip and leg have been in pain for about the last three months. The pain radiates from my hip to my thigh and is worse at night time when I lie on this side. It feels like I am all bruised around that area, but there is no bruise there. When I put pressure on it or lie on it, then it gets sore. It is my left leg. I sit with my left leg on top of my right leg most of the time and unsure if this has something to do with it. The pain is not unbearable, but it is an annoyance for me. When I sit for a period or lie, I get stiff and sore. I have a desk job; therefore, I do not move about very much during the day. I want some relief from the pain and know how to help it.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

In my opinion, you have a kind of inflammation of the fluid-filled sac on the outer aspect of the hip, which on lying gets compressed and giving you that pain. And I am not sure if you had earlier episodes of back pain or any other back-related issue. As if there is pain radiating, it could also be due to nerve impingement. But as per your description, it is mostly due to the hip bursa. Fluid-filled sac.

For now,

  • You need some anti-inflammatory medications.
  • Icing to be given in that painful area.
  • Avoid lying on sides for a while until it gets healed.
  • You need a good rehab program to improve strength, stability, and movement around the hip and back region.
  • You can try some cobra stretching exercises to help relax your back and do these for six repetitions of three sets.

Kindly do get back to me if you need any further clarification regarding additional help.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

What can be the cause of pain in the upper back and neck?

Query: Hello doctor, I was advised to take Naproxen, Gabarich 300 mg and Pantop 40 mg for my upper back and neck pain. Can you please tell me if Gabarich is a painkiller and with what to substitute for Naproxen and Gabarich for pain in my upper back and neck? I must remind you that I am on antidepressants.  Read Full »

I have spine and neck pain with occasional chest burn. Why do I get this?

Query: Hello doctor, My main issue is spine pain accompanied with neck pain (disc is dislocated). It gets worse when standing up from a sitting position. When I get up from floor, I feel lightheaded. Sometimes it is that intense that I faint for a few seconds. While sitting in a car, I lose vision sometim...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Physiotherapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.