Q. My spine and neck pain refrains me from work. What should I do?

Dr. Peter Grutas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 01, 2020

My main issue is spine pain accompanied with neck pain (disc is dislocated). It gets worse when standing up from a sitting position. When I get up from floor, I feel lightheaded. Sometimes it is that intense that I faint for a few seconds. While sitting in a car, I lose vision sometimes for a few seconds. Even walking is suffering as I need to rest every few steps I make. When laying in bed, I feel normal. My blood pressure is lower than average and I often have strong acid reflux. Once I had terrible stomach pain accompanied by acid reflux and vomited dark acid. On some occasions my chest is burning as well, even when laying down. Besides disc dislocation I have been diagnosed with one of the heart valves to be loose, and with irregular slower heartbeat. Could you explain to me the cause of these issues? Are the symptoms related to each other or could it mean something else besides that?

I do nothing because the pain makes it impossible to do anything as I stated I have to rest every few steps. Before this injury, I was lifting heavy things and driving a truck for 30 years.

I have no physical activity anymore, the pain is unbearable. I have been having issues for five years. All I do during the day literally is laying in bed, then sitting in the kitchen and outside in the yard then going back to bed. I did try to perform housework but it made the pain even worse. Please help.

I take some pills to calm down the acid reflux and pain killers occasionally.

Dr. Peter Grutas

#

I am sorry you are having these symptoms. There are many possible causes of your symptoms that may be related to the cervical disc herniation causing nerve impingement on the cervical area. This may be caused by degenerative changes considering your age and history. It may also be related to your posture that is why you are having acid reflux. I would recommend to you undergo a physical therapy program to include HMP, TENS (transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation), US (upper stretch) on the upper trapeze, Calliet exercises, McKenzie exercises, range of motion exercises by gentle passive stretching and suboccipital release.

Take Omeprazole 40 mg one tablet 30 minutes before breakfast, Carisoprodol, and Paracetamol one tablet three times a day for five days and Celecoxib 200 mg twice a day for breakthrough pain.

|