Q. Based on my 58-year-old mother's reports, please suggest a diet plan.

Dr. Subharanjini Ramesh

Please advise a diet plan for my mother aged 58 years. At present her physical activity is very very less as she is unable to walk with herself and all activities like potty, bathing etc are performed with the help of father. She takes 1-2 Roti with vegetable in the morning around 11:30 after that she takes same meals at evening around 7:00 pm. The latest blood report is attached herewith.

#

Hi, Welcome to icliniq. I think you have not attached all the files. The reports are not complete. Please attach the remaining pages of the report.

| 

I have attached the remaining pages doctor. There are 23 pages separately.

#

Saw your mom’s reports.

• Why is your mom eating very less? Is she not able to eat or is there any other problems providing food on time?
  • I presume that you have taken all the blood tests on your own. Have you shown to any dr?
  • Is she having the problem starting from this month or is she suffering for a long time?
  • Why is she not able to walk? Have you shown to an orthopaedic ?
  • What did the drs say?

From the reports, you can see that she is non diabetic. She needs to take any multivitamin tablets for 30 days to correct her nutritional deficiency. Her vitamin d levels are little low. Let her sit facing the sunlight in the morning hours between 8-10am for half an hour.

• Start her day early in the morning by 6-7 by a cup of tea. Between 9-10am, let her eat 2 rotis with vegetables as breakfast.
  • Give her any protein supplement drink by 11:30.
  • Lunch should be around 1:30-2 with a cup of dal, vegetables, 2-3 rotis, curd/ buttermilk.
  • Evening by 5 again tea with biscuits.
  • Night dinner by 7-8pm, same as lunch.

Please make her eat properly by motivating her more. I can see more of nutritional deficiencies as her intake is very less. If you can walk her around the house , it will be very helpful for her. I presume that no proper diagnosis has been made by a dr. Please get back with all details so that I can guide you properly.

| 
This problem of not walking by her own is since 3-4 years.
She doesn't take meels by her own.
She is becoming moody now a days.
Earlier she was taking meals thrice in the whole day and milk at night.
# Hi,
Did your mom meet with an accident? Why she is not able to walk?
You need to motivate her a lot to eat food. Or else, she will become very weak. If the intake is very less, then doctors will advise for tube feeding. The person who is taking care of her will have more problem.
Try out with liquid foods initially. Soups, juices, porridge’s are good start.
You can take the help of psychologist to motivate her. If you make her walk around with a walker it will be helpful to you all also.
The whole process has to be done as a family. Otherwise it will be really a problem.
Please do get back with all the details of your moms health issues.

| 
Her ability to walk decreased gradually due weakness.
#

Your mom’s blood report is totally normal except for few readings. Her blood picture shows little abnormality because she is eating less.Her BUN and creatine are also low because of her eating problem. These abnormalities can become okay if she starts eating normally. But her motivation level is extremely low.

Her main problem here is she is not able to walk. Not walking is due to either physiological or psychological. Please consult a neurologist as early as possible to rule out any neurological problems. Because in the blood report, there is little abnormality in metals . Go for more advanced treatment options. If you have done all these steps, then you can try alternative medicines like Ayurveda also.

Unless she finds any improvement in her health, it will be very difficult to coax her to eat. Start giving her multivitamin tablets and iron tablets first. Please do follow up after neurologist visit .

The metal abnormality can be due to your locality also, an industrial area. Please do analyse the problem from that angle also. However visit to neurologist is very important.

|