Q. My grandmother is having lower back pain after a fall. What to do?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

My grandmother aged 91, fell in the bathroom about a month back. She was able to walk and did not have any major symptoms. Since two weeks, she has had difficulty walking and lower back pain. She had an x-ray two days ago. As she is in complete bed rest, developed bed sores. I need a review on the x-ray and help with the treatment.

#

For me to help you with your query, I need to see the x-ray of the lower lumbar area. Kindly attach the x-ray and follow-up with the same.

Revert with more information to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Thank you for the quick response. I have attached photos of her x-ray and the wound.

#

• In the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can see facet arthropathy and degenerative changes with a collapse of the L1 vertebra. It looks like an osteoporotic compression fracture rather than a traumatic one.
  • Before coming to the management part of the condition. I would like to ask few questions as follows.
  1. Was your grandmother ambulatory on her own before the injury, either with or without support?
  2. Is she able to walk on her own? If not, is she able to sit on the bed on her own?
  3. Is she suffering from any chronic illness like diabetes, hypertension and cardiac conditions? Is she on any medication?
  4. Has she undergone any blood investigations recently? Kindly attach the records.
  5. If she is completely bedridden, is there any person who is taking care of her?
  6. Is she able to move her legs freely in bed and to raise her legs in the air without support?
  • Kindly follow up with the answers to these questions for better evaluation of her condition.

|