Q. I got white bumps on the back of my tongue, two weeks after oral sex. Is it HPV?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar
Published on Aug 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

I am a 28 year old female, and I have white bumps on the back of my tongue. I also have painful white sores on the sides of the tongue. I have been getting painful sores on the tip of my tongue quite frequently for the past two months. But this time, the pain was severe. I did get some relief after taking a few antibiotics. What could be the possible causes? I have attached pictures of the sores. I am extremely worried about it being cancerous or due to HPV infection.

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

I went through your complaint and also the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you provided of the lesion.

As far as your history of painful sores on tongue tip is concerned, there can be various reasons. Most common are vitamin B12 deficiency, stress, irritant food or medications, and trauma. These sores disappear after a certain period if the cause is removed, so believe it or not, antibiotics may aggravate them if the cause was any stress or nutrition deficiency.

Coming to your pictures, I got a superficial view of the lesion due to low resolution, and I could make out it does not seem to be HPV (human papillomavirus). But if you experience any tingling, difficulty swallowing, jaw or neck pain, hoarseness of voice, etc., then immediately consult an ENT specialist for oral examination.

It can be swelling of your taste buds, which can be caused by similar things as mentioned above. And yes, at the back of your tongue the white circular bumps arranged symmetrically are called as lingual tonsils, which swell when you suffer from a sore throat.

Please answer the following questions:

1. Were you involved in oral sex within the past three weeks?
  2. Is your partner's STD (sexually transmitted disease) status confirmed, including HPV, herpes, and HIV (human immunodeficiency virus)?
  3. Is your STD status confirmed negative?
  4. Have you had multiple sexual partners within the past three months?

If any of the above questions are a "yes" or the symptoms does not subside in a week, please get an oropharyngeal examination done by an ENT specialist.

Consult me further for any other queries regarding the treatment or anything.

Revert with more information to a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Thank you doctor,

I did engage in oral sex about two weeks ago. However, I am feeling a lot better today. The pain is far less, but the bumps are still visible. I did not have any difficulty swallowing, but my tongue hurt while eating or drinking. I do not have a sore throat also. Does the fact that it is getting better imply that it is not HPV? I am really scared of that. My partner and I have never had any STD tests done.

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

If there is no worsening of symptoms, then that is a plus point, but I recommend you consult a specialist if in case the sores and lumps recur.

I think it will be fine in about a week, until then, I suggest applying topical ointment, like B Folcin gel (Choline salicylate). It is applied in the mouth on lesions at night after gargling with warm water.

A full course of multivitamin tablets, like tablet MVBC (Multivitamin B complex), one tablet every afternoon after a meal for 30 days. If you have constipation, do get treated with Bisacodyl tablets, one tablet at night before sleep.

Do follow-up until the lumps fully subside. And do not hesitate to consult a specialist if your lesions persist after a week. Till then, keep calm and enjoy.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Thanks for the reply. Please tell me if healing means it is less likely to be a case of HPV.

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

Yes, the possibilities of it being HPV lesion are low if the lesions are healing without any complications and any other signs till this week. But, if you are scared and have any doubt, you can undergo a clinical examination just for self-satisfaction.

For further queries consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

I also encountered a few other growths on the underside of my tongue. Please tell me if this is normal. Also, is it normal that I can see my epiglottis easily and clearly on stretching my tongue?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

In the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can make out some small lumps on the underside of your tongue. Otherwise, nothing is serious.

As I told you earlier if other than the lesions at the side of your tongue, please get a thorough oropharyngeal examination, which will reveal any other hidden lesions if any and other characteristics.

Please, get an oropharyngeal examination with full history done by an ENT specialist. Do not worry and take care. Do follow-up with the reports of your examination.

I will get an examination done. However, these lumps under the tongue do not pain at all. What could be the possible causes besides a viral infection?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

These lumps can be simple mucous retention cysts, which are swelling in the minor salivary glands. So, there is no need to worry about them.

All the lesions on the side of my tongue have disappeared except the swollen lingual tonsils you told me about. I do not have a sore throat. So, what could be the reason for these? Will they remain swollen as such?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

The most probable cause of their swelling is an acute infection, whereas vigorous tongue cleaning might be the other cause. Anyway, hope the swelling too will clear up in few days.

In the meantime, just relax as you have no other signs of fever, sore throat, weakness, body ache, runny nose, cough, etc.

Have a nice day. Take care.

Can HPV be transmitted by kissing?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a few warts on my leg and a barely noticeable wart on my penis. My doctor said that they look like HPV. He advised me to apply antifungal and steroid cream and wear condoms. The cream was not very effective even after four days. Can it be something other than HPV? Will condom...  Read Full »

Can HPV in sexually active individual cause throat cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not show any signs or symptoms. Instead, I just want accurate information on the subject of HPV in a sexually active individual. I would like to know its role in throat cancer. Yes, I know it can cause it, but I would like to know more regarding numbers. Is it rare? What percent...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now