Q. Will my fears get worse due to compulsion disorder?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

I am a 30-year-old woman. I am having OCD since I was 12 years old. I have a strong fear of an event that happened a couple of years ago when a psychiatrist told me that I have a borderline disorder and have no fantasy. I was trying to ask her for years to say me the opposite as a compulsion. She refused to do that, I am not sure if it is because she did not want to change her opinion or it is because she did not want to satisfy my compulsion. My mother was encouraging me to do these kinds of compulsions as she thought it is going to get worse. It was a bad thing as she was validating my fears in this way. I just realized these things now so I started to confront my fears about what the psychiatrist said to me. But I ran into another one which is about what if my mother is right and if I am confronting my fears it is going to get worse. What do you think?

#

My first question is whether you are currently on medication for OCD or not. If your obsessions are bothering you that much, first you need to start medications because the content of your obsessions is a second factor when it comes to treatment, first we need to focus on not having an obsession which will be possible with medication.

Secondly about your compulsion to have a second opinion, what you can do is find a therapist which will help you and teach you techniques to overcome this need. CBT is a great tool in that way . Enabling an obsession is never a good idea, you need to learn ways to cope up with them without acting on it.

|