Older Adults

Can cardiac issues cause lower back pain in an 80-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor, My 80-year-old father has been diabetic for the past 30 years and hypertensive for the past five years. He had a stroke 15 years ago, underwent cardiac surgery seven years ago, and took treatment for non-Hodgins lymphoma 11 years ago. He has been experiencing lower back pain on th...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Thanks for the query.I have gone through all the reports you sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity) and found ECG (electrocardiogram) and echocardiography normal. The kidney function is slightly deranged, and the rest of the reports are fine. Pain...  Read Full »

Kindly help me know the quality of life after a tracheostomy for my 77-year-old father.

Query: Hello doctor, My 77-year-old father is in ICU, and he is advised for a tracheostomy procedure. Kindly help me know the quality of life and survival rate after this procedure. Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. Anjali

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your query. Tracheostomy is needed if a patient has difficulty in weaning with a ventilator. However, the quality of life after the ventilator depends upon the hygienic care during suction and tube change. A need for tracheostomy depends upon the pati...  Read Full »

Please suggest an antibiotic for my husband as his fever did not subside after two doses of Ibuprofen.

Query: Hello doctor, My 62-year-old husband has hypertension and high cholesterol and is under regular medication. His height is 5'5", and his weight is 150 lbs. He took two tablets of Ibuprofen every six-hour for his fever, but he is still sick. I think he needs an antibiotic, but he cannot see a docto...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your husband has been suffering from fever, and you think he needs antibiotics. Before starting any antibiotic, your husband should undergo investigations like CBC (complete bl...  Read Full »

Is chemotherapy a good treatment option for cancer in elderly?

Query: Hello doctor, Here I am discussing the reports of my aunty. She is 70-years-old with a history of asthma. She underwent gallbladder surgery two years ago. After the surgery, she was diagnosed to have cancer. They consulted a doctor, and he advised chemotherapy as a treatment option. But her famil...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and the reports you have provided (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). Before answering your questions, I would like to point out the inconsistency in the reports, and I would like to get them re-checked...  Read Full »

Will there be an increase in sugar level on aging in non-diabetic individuals?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 72-year-old female of height 5 ft 5 inches and weight 43 kg. I am healthy, active in sports, work, etc. My fasting sugar usually is 4.3 to 4.8. Lately, for about three months, my fasting sugar is 5.3 to 5.6. I feel good. I had low iron, but with vitamins and iron feel good. I am t...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajendran R Nayar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your blood sugars are still in the normal range. I understand that your worry is that it has increased. I presume that other factors like diet and exercise have not changed. If you have been taking more sugars, you need to reduce them. As you know, Insulin is produced b...  Read Full »

When should we start IV fluids in patients?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is an 82-year-old female. Her BP is normal. She had a fever in the last four days, not at present, and not taking food for the past two days. She is fragile, bedridden, and not taking pills. She only takes four to five spoons of juice. COVID test is not done yet. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Acha Varun Babu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As for your history is concerned, if her vitals are stable, you can encourage oral fluids. We need to see her general condition, whether conscious or oriented to time, place, or person. If she is conscious and able to talk, you can encourage her orally and ask her ...  Read Full »

Are painful and swollen legs common in old age?

Query: Hi doctor, My 84-year-old wife is mildly diabetic and is under medications with Metformin 850 mg twice daily, Losartan 50 mg once daily, Thyroxin 88 mcg once daily, Statin 10 mg once daily, and multivitamins. Her recent blood test showed low hemoglobin and iron, and she started to take Folvite 5 mg...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern. I got the picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) of legs, and there is swelling and discoloration. Most probably, this is due to uncontrolled glucose. Other reasons for such discoloration and ...  Read Full »